Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tranny slipping-added fluid-now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully the N. saftey switch does the trick. Once the engine will start again run it up to operating temp so the fluid is warm and on flat ground and recheck the transmission fluid level again, Shift into all gears ending in neutral. Make sure oil shows between the hot/cold, Hi/lo marks on the dipstick. Add through the same dipstick tube if necessary and use ATF+4 for your dodge as many of the threads will testify to.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:24 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by toddbowie
decided I'd better not crank it as right now the tranny fluid (if that's what I did) is still in the pan and not up in the engine.
It's okay, the tranny fluid will not harm the engine, rather it is beneficial and will help clean the sludge and varnish out of it. Way back in the Land Before Time, my shop teacher used to tell us of his racing buddy that ran straight tranny fluid in his engine. He said whenever they tore it down to rebuild it that it was so clean inside that you could eat off of it.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:31 PM
toddbowie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard a story of someone putting a potato near the exhaust manifold, driving for an hour and it was cooked. Anyway, that's my eating off the engine story.

Now back to the van.

I'm about out of ideas. The NSS was definitely bad (metered it again on bench after I replaced it). Drained off a quart of oil so it was at the full level. Still every indication on the dash is that it should start. Nothing but lights still. Even went as far as splicing the black/yellow wire directly to ground (bypassing the NSS altogether). Same thing. If I knew where the other end of the wire was I'd bypass it there in case it broke (or burned up) somewhere when the tranny over heated (there was smoke coming out the filler tube when my wife got it home). I'm pretty sure the tranny is toast but it's nothing but scrap metal if I can't get the engine started.

I'm open to any other ideas to get it started. With older cars, which is what I'm used to working on, I'd just bypass everything and hook up the coil and hot wire the solenoid.

Thanks for the help so far. I haven't given up yet.
Todd

Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 PM
JFloors
Veteran

somewhere when the tranny over heated (there was smoke coming out the filler tube when my wife got it home). I'm pretty sure the tranny is toast but it's nothing but scrap metal if I can't get the engine started.
Gee whiz... This might have been better mentioned earlier in the thread brother docha' think? Maybe some of the other guys have some ideas sorry to say it but if it were me I'd have it towed to a reputable mechanic/transmission shop to have it checked out to be honest with you.

Last edited by alloro; 06-26-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 PM
toddbowie
Amateur

I thought I had mentioned it. I kind of knew the tranny was toast but the engine started fine 3 or 4 times after she got it home while I was checking the fluid but after I added it that's when it suddenly wouldn't start anymore.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:41 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Didn't need an exhaust manifold to cook a potato around here today, sidewalks are plenty hot! Had a concern about my old work van running a bit warm today too, wish you the best in getting yours up and running again, would like to hear back on the diagnosis if you decide to take er in and get fixed.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:01 PM
toddbowie
Amateur

Started a new thread but thought I would post it here too since you all already know what's going on.

Hope this is a simple question. On my 1998 1500 Ram Van I'm trying to get it started by simply hot wiring the starter. All that goes to the starter is the large red wire and a brown (maybe black) smaller wire. Is the brown wire the solenoid trip? If I connect it to battery positive will that engage the starter?

Todd

Last edited by toddbowie; 06-27-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:42 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Is the brown wire the solenoid trip? If I connect it to battery positive will that engage the starter?
Yes and yes.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:04 PM
toddbowie
Amateur

Thanks Alloro, you're the man! Spliced in a suicide switch and it fired right up. Now I'll try to get it to actually move. I'm sure there is no tranny fluid in it. When I was underneath reconnecting the NSS I found out all the tranny pan bolts had been loosened. Wonder if the shop that last worked on it did that. Don't know if putting 4-6 quarts of fluid back in it will help or not.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds as if you have an ATF thief in the neighborhood...???

if you refill with AFT+4 and it actually moves when shifted into gear I would say that you are lucky. Next move would be to take it to a tranny shop and have them diagnose it... likely you will need a rebuild.

I put in a Jasper rebuild almost 3 years ago for about $2300 in my '01 2500 and am happy I did. I am using it for a tow vehicle on a 20' travel trailer. Have put about 35,000 since the swap and everything is good.

Quick Reply: Tranny slipping-added fluid-now won't start