Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

318 possible fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM
48woody
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 possible fuel problem

I'm looking at a 1995 dodge van with a 318. The owner says it sometimes bogs down under load and stalls. She has blown up 3 mufflers, the last one was only on for 12 hours. Sounds like unburned fuel is getting into muffler and igniting. one garage thought it might be the fuel pump or wiring. I can get it pretty cheap, but don't want to have to spend a fortune after. any ideas as to what to look for. I realize there could be dozens of possible issues. someone else suggested looking at the coolant temp sensor as if it was bad it would send a signal to the computer and may cause an excessive amount of fuel to be pumped

Thanks

Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 48woody
She has blown up 3 mufflers, the last one was only on for 12 hours.
Plugged tailpipe perhaps?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:40 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how about deteriorated wiring or mis-placed plug wires going to cylinders and not allowing firing of the fuel charge...
maybe look at the engine in the dark for any possible spark from plug wires or pulling plugs looking for fouled plug? although that can be a lot of work if the plugs have not been changed in years

plug wire routing is a major issue with these vans

Old 06-28-2015, 01:12 AM
funair02
All Star

you will definitely have a bad cat if gas is getting past the exhaust valve

Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 PM
48woody

Thanks for the replys. The owner had replaced the wires and plugs. One mechanic thought it might be the fuel pump. Don't know if they checked the pipe for blockage. I decided this van had too many issues, but did find a 1999 Dodge Ram van, that is in excellent shape. Came from Colorado, no salt so very little rust. Interior really clean, and runs good.

Thanks again for the info

Quick Reply: 318 possible fuel problem