Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Hot day, radiator temp 210+

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hot day, radiator temp 210+

Got pretty hot here today, 112 was the high and drove home of course at the peak of it. I've been watching the gauges more closely lately since recently changing the temp sensor and thermostat from a 180 to a 192 plus hoses to get an idea how it's going to be. I had run the 180 t-stat for the past 6 or so years and always had heater blowing luke warm in the cold season. Didn't care for that so changed it back. Also had done a good flush just a few months ago, used conventional green 50/50 and it's been running right at that 190 mark and blowing decent heat when I check it once in a while.
This morning near 90 all normal going to work but coming home and about a 40 mile run the gauge showed hotter than I've ever seen it... just over the 210 freeway speed and a/c max on 3, I'm guessing but reached 215-220 on the short run through town and into my neighborhood, park and shutdown.
I can tell you the clutch fan has good resistance and no wobble, but can't tell you the last time the waterpump had been replaced.... I'm thinking some years. it's got 273k on it and the pump has been replaced once that i recall.
Question is this, is that too hot a running temp on a hot day like today?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:53 PM
chevelle68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFloors
Question is this, is that too hot a running temp on a hot day like today?

Yes, too hot, if all is working ok. It should still remain around 190-200. Mine did that last year after doing some towing, came home, was idling and it creeped up. It only happened that one time though. I don't suspect water pump(even though it has lasted a while). It could be the new thermostat has failed or is failing. Keep monitoring it, if it continues get it checked out.

Last edited by alloro; 06-27-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:38 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Thanks for that verification Chevelle68, I thought something was odd there,
I'll keep an an eye on it. Will be running up hill to work and then down the next few days and looks like our weather temps will be on the warm side and dry...
I failed to mention the radiator earlier, it's similar to the waterpump in age I suspect n do recall having had to replace it once before for sure during my ownership... not crudded up, had checked only by hand for hot/cool spots fairly certain it was in good shape, my finger prints are beginning to show again, lol but then again I've been wrong more than once or that I care to admit.
Will see how it goes tomorrow, pretty much same heat as today

Old 06-26-2015, 02:15 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Did a supply run in town and temp held normal this morning. Soon as i started up into the foothills toward the house I'm working at the needle rose to that 220 or so again, I turned er around and headed home and it dropped back to just a hair under 210. The upper radiator hose is very firm while running and shut down, guessing I'll be changing out the thermostat again today as chevelle68 suggested, atleast the housing bolts ought to turn and not break this time since I just changed it out about 3 weeks ago. Think maybe should head to the dealer to get a new one since o'reilly's murray brand seems to have failed.
Luckily the people i'm working for are out of town for another 2 weeks so I have some leeway in getting the floors done.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM
JFloors
Veteran

got the thermostat but having second thoughts on jumping on it today without some others thoughts and input. It's made in Israel just like the Murray one so putting 2 n2 together... hmm! I'm just not 100% that's the problem.
the parts guy was nice and had a 99 pickup that had had a similar issue, said it ended up being the radiator. Though it visually had the look of being good was shellacked inside preventing proper flow, and something about the clutch fan kicking on properly too which he replaced. My fan has been fairly loud cool morning or warm afternoon for a long time but there hasn't been any running hot issues
I've read through a few of the related forum topics here, thoroughly undecided now and think it wiser to wait for input for a little better direction before I attack this. Thanks

Old 06-27-2015, 08:41 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to put in a new rad from Rockauto last year on my '01 3500... my digital readout taken from the OBDII plug shows never any hotter then 198 now and usually 192...
my trusted mechanic friend talked me into it before I had a problem and to help with AC, plus new clutch... have 178,000 miles

I have a Scan Gauge II that gives many parameters while driving. SImilar digital readout gizmos available readily read directly from OBDII plug to your smartphone for cheap, but I don't recall a name right now. Maybe get some better intel from other temp sources before fixing something that is not broke.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 AM
JFloors
Veteran

using the code reader to compare temp readings didn't occur to me, thanks for that reminder RSD

Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking of using something like this to read the info availabale from the PLUG...
I own a Scan Gauge II but they are a little pricey for a one time use... I have had the ScanGuage IIi now for about 5 years and I swap it into two vehicles when I drive long distances. I luv how it gives me digital readout of revs and MPH... I also show water temp inlet degrees, as I use my van as a tow vehicle also. A good investment for the long haul.

THis bluetooth unit works great if you have an android smartphone... other phones supported with other similar devices. My buddy uses one to do shade-tree mechanic work.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435501316&sr=1-1&keywords=obdii+bluetooth&pebp=1435501312439&perid=0HPQ89W4ZNYXG94KWFX7 http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435501316&sr=1-1&keywords=obdii+bluetooth&pebp=1435501312439&perid=0HPQ89W4ZNYXG94KWFX7

Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 PM
JFloors
Veteran

I hooked my fathers day gift of a couple years ago, a harbor freight 60794 code reader and idled the van up to temp today. Read normal range on the dash gauge... being a comfortable space before the 210 mark, while the reader read 204.
I then turned the heat on to the upper vents a couple minutes and the reader dropped to 199 after a couple minutes. I also took the cap off the resevoir and lifted the pressure release on the radiator cap playing with it here.
I then turned on the a/c and switched over to cold and held the rpms up to the 2k range for a minute or 2 so the the temp rose on the dash to 210 and the code reader showed 217. I went just a minute longer and the reader got to 224 with the needle moving a tick or so above the 210.

I went ahead and got a new radiator from napa the other day and a clutch fan and another thermostat from the dealer while i was doing my rounds saturday figuring I may as well do those 3 while in there with easy access and 2 of those 3 most likely need changing and not doing their job. Will get started on that in the morning.

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys, wish me no breaking things day please!

Jim

Last edited by JFloors; 06-29-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Well I got through with the chore with no breakage, leaks and only some frustrating moments while trying to bust that danged fan nut loose which is unusual for me. The normal (lefty loosey-righty tighty) is how the nut turns on mine n not so bad getting off once this is established, don't believe all you read on the internet. The new fan clutch spins quite a bit free'r than the old one did.
So... heater water valve, new radiator, clutch fan and 195 t-stat and the van is still running a little bit warmer than it should by a few degrees it seems to me but according to the gauge as well as the reader but it didn't get hot hot like it did the other day. Test drove it today it was 112 outside, driving a stretch it reads 199-202 range with a/c cranked max, slower speeds and traffic and at the lights it creeps to 211-212. Get moving again and it drops back to the 199-202 range.
My other pick up hangs around 195 no matter whether hot or cold outside or running the a/c and this van was same. I'm just not sure why it's running warm or what to look at or do next...
Guess will see how it handles the hill up to shingletown in the morning, that roll of carpet in the van needs to get there and it's too big for little old man me to try n muscle onto my truck.

oh and today for some reason the a/c vents began to intermittently switch from dash to floor to defrost all on their own too on this test drive, crazy!

Last edited by JFloors; 07-01-2015 at 01:06 AM. Reason: just some after thoughts

Quick Reply: Hot day, radiator temp 210+