Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Its the water pump

Old 07-24-2015, 05:36 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its the water pump

My water pump is out at 153k miles on an 01 1500 conversion van. 5.2l 8 cylinder. Plugging that info into my search bar gets me youtube videos about how to change said part on TRUCKS so I am asking if it is any different for a van. Going from under the van perhaps?
I have done my own oil change, plugs wires cap and rotor and the belt but based on the video, not sure if I should try the water pump myself or not.

Anyone? Please! TIA!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Go from the top and if you want a lot of room, unbolt the A/C compressor to move it out of the way then remove the radiator. You'll be able to practically stand in there and work on it. Also, with 153K on it you might want to think about changing the timing set while you're in there. It's not much more work to do now, but it's a lot of work if you have to do it later.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Why the timing set?

So you're saying I should do just for the experience of having done it? Quotes from 3-325 to 420 parts and all to have it done.

P.s. I'm a woman BTW.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hardest part will be separating the fan clutch from the water pump. Attempt that first and if you are successful carry on with the job. The rest of the job is just tinkering around and contorting your fingers to get the hoses off. I prefer to cut them off and replace them...
Regards, Steve

Old 07-25-2015, 10:25 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by andthatsalrightwithme
Why the timing set?

P.s. I'm a woman BTW.
Because it has 153K miles on it already which means it's at least 3/4 of the way through it's lifespan. The timing set is under the cover behind the water pump. So if the timing jumps a tooth in another 10K miles, everything that had to come out to replace the water pump will have to come out again, including the water pump. It might cost you an extra $100 now, but it will cost a good $500 to do it later. Of course if you're not planning on keeping the van much longer then it doesn't matter, except as a selling point.

P.S. We treat men and women the same here.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Might I ask what might be a foretelling sign of the timing jumping a tooth. I ask because when out on the highway, set on cruise, the van does this slight hiccup/cough sensation.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:13 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

please someone, tell me more about the life expectancy of the timing chain?

I like to do preventive on my '01 5.2l, which now has 178K miles...

she is running like a top and when I use her she pulls a 4500# travel trailer hundreds of miles at a time and I don't need a problem on the road when I am doing that...

I put in a new rad, belts and hoses last summer, and did the serpentine belt and water pump about 40,000 miles ago. Plugs, wires and tuneup about 20,000 miles.

so what other than the chain needs to be done?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 AM
phillip123hastings
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody might already said this, but after you separate the water pump from the fan clutch, it goes easy after that. I would advise you to cut the hoses off and put some new ones.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 AM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Originally Posted by rsdata
please someone, tell me more about the life expectancy of the timing chain?

I like to do preventive on my '01 5.2l, which now has 178K miles...

she is running like a top and when I use her she pulls a 4500# travel trailer hundreds of miles at a time and I don't need a problem on the road when I am doing that...

I put in a new rad, belts and hoses last summer, and did the serpentine belt and water pump about 40,000 miles ago. Plugs, wires and tuneup about 20,000 miles.

so what other than the chain needs to be done?

Not exactly sure what that first sentence is supposed to mean but I sense sarcasm where it is unneccesary.

As I am not getting to travel in the vehicle like you are and do, having bought it at 148k miles and everything running like a top until now at 153k miles, no I haven't seen it necessary to change all these items you speak of but I do appreciate the otherwise sincere advice.

My dad and I started at the bottom and then ended up having to go thru the top because of one hose that didn't look great upon its removal from the water pump, a short one that was swollen and wouldn't come apart from under the alternator because of the old style clamps this van still has. Otherwise, as he is the one with the knowledge to do or not do, I left it up to him on hose replacement it or not.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andthatsalrightwithme
Not exactly sure what that first sentence is supposed to mean but I sense sarcasm where it is unneccesary.

As I am not getting to travel in the vehicle like you are and do, having bought it at 148k miles and everything running like a top until now at 153k miles, no I haven't seen it necessary to change all these items you speak of but I do appreciate the otherwise sincere advice.

My dad and I started at the bottom and then ended up having to go thru the top because of one hose that didn't look great upon its removal from the water pump, a short one that was swollen and wouldn't come apart from under the alternator because of the old style clamps this van still has. Otherwise, as he is the one with the knowledge to do or not do, I left it up to him on hose replacement it or not.

I don't read it as Rsdata was remarking sarcastically, think he was asking for his own information and not making fun of your question.
As for the hoses I'd say replace them being swollen and probably hardened just to be safe and replace those clamps too. I tried reusing the clamps after changing out the hoses on mine and ended up with leaks at the thermostat housing and the heater return line next to it (the toughest ones to get to of course!)
I haven't changed my water pump or timing set yet but have pulled all the stuff that needs to be moved to get to it and it's not all that bad a job, just be patient is all... plan to change those out when it becomes necessary. Fan clutch not too bad either if you have the spanner wrench and the big nut needs to spin off counter clock wise while holding the pully in place. Tried other solutions to get it to bust loose from posts here and others but I ended up buying the last one from o'reillys here, one pull it it was off!
I'm no expert but that hiccup symptom (cutting out) on the freeway you mentioned could just be the van is due for a tune up... plugs,wires,cap n rotor, air filter if that hasn't been done anytime recently. In any case it would hurt to inspect
Not long ago mine would cut out and run a bit longer then cut out 2-3 more times then engine would die and not restart for a few minutes. alloro suggested to change the crank sensor and sure enough that was it!

Was gonna say too that those youtube videos should be fine to learn from for water pump r&r reference, those 2nd gen trucks run the same 5.2 and 5.9 engines as our vans

Last edited by JFloors; 07-29-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Its the water pump