Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Question on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:50 PM
TNNuke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on possible purchase

First post here . . . . was hoping to get some thoughts on a possible purchase I came across.

Was in PA this weekend and saw a pristine looking van at a used car dealer on the way to the wedding. Unfortunately the dealer was closed when we came back but the van was unlocked so we looked around a bit. I did get in touch with the dealer by cell and got some details.

It is a 1997 conversion van with the Halfback conversion (2 captain seats and a bench with a divider and an area that is like a pickup with a cap in the rear). The van was from an estate sale and was a single owner. There are 43K miles on it and it was garaged its entire life with no rust on the body or underneath other than some light surface rust. The roof is still shining with no flaking even in the roof gutters. Inside looks like it saw very little use which supports the mileage. Tires are nearly new. No rust or scrapes on the wheels. Only item of note is one of the finder flares has a slight crack. The running boards are solid and there is no rust at the bottom of any of the doors. There is no hitch on it which at least says it was not used for towing. The side mirrors have the typical issue of them flopping so they would need to be replaced.

I know that the halfback van is a design that might not be for everyone but with only my wife & I in it most of the time and hauling stuff, it would be ideal for our needs without having to take seats out.

The dealers is asking $6,500 OBO . . . .so the questions I have are:

• Thoughts on the price / year / mileage?
  • Thoughts on the mileage - is there such a thing as too low in your minds?
  • What issues should I be sure to check out to avoid an expense right after buying it (if I opt to go that route)?

If you want to see what these look like, check out www.halfbackvans.com.

In fact, the used one that they had for sale is almost identical to the one we saw except for the exterior color.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Old 07-27-2015, 10:31 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

6500 for a 1997?

No way ever...

Old 07-27-2015, 08:12 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
6500 for a 1997?

No way ever...
Remember, it's a conversion van with only 43K miles and no rust. My only concern would be the availability of repair parts.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

although I have always been able to get parts for my '01, they are not always readily available the same day...

this van is NOT a classic car... I don't think it is worth more than $4500 IMO

what engine and rear axle? a tag under the hood often reflects the build sheet and will tell you the axle... mine is a 4.10 5.2 liter... good for towing but only 13 MPG on the highway

I would start, drive, stop, restart, drive more this van as much as I could before putting down any money. If you do get it I bet it will last another 10-12 years.

Last edited by rsdata; 07-28-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Question on possible purchase