Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Trans getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:31 AM
DanielW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by landyacht318
I have a magnefine filter on one of the hoses to the cooler, but it weeps fluid extremely slowly.
I also have one of those (don't know which brand) magnetic filters in the line. I thought it was just some magnets in a container, to collect all the ferrous dirt... does it really restrict flow a lot? I never tried...
What would you recommend instead?

Btw: As I know from a friend who drives BMWs: BMW "only" charges 30-50€ for the OBD test, if you are not a customer. Good customers get it for free or 10 bucks in the coffee kitty...

Old 09-16-2015, 12:54 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 04:11 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 09-16-2015, 03:45 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Yes, I already have the remote filter mount, just have not mounted it yet. It will be on the passenger side frame rail, above the sweep of the idler arms.

I got the one with 3/4-16 threads, same as the oil filter, and am going to use the Fram Ultra XG-16 filter inside it.

The Fram Ultra is a very well made filter, it is not the orange can of death 'tough guard' model that seems to be universally despised on automotive forums, so no lectures please.

About the Magnefines, and their clones, there is a pleated filter inside and there is a bypass if the pleats get clogged, as long as it is not installed backwards.

i had a clone on my power steering return line too, and it too started weeping. It is not a huge amount, but it is disconcerting.

My remote tranny filter will have many strong magnets on the can, like my M1-301 Oil filter does.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 AM
DanielW

Thanks, sounds like a good idea.
I did not really understand what you mean by "weeping". On the first post, I thought, the filter is restricting flow. But on your last post, it sounds to me like it's dripping oil to the outside?

So the red Fram filters are "not good"? I don't read enough American forums I have used them many times, sometimes also Wix an others, whatever i was able to get (ordering at rockauto, I have to take care of shipping cost to Germany, so I try to buy from as little warehouses as possible... and most of them only have the standard filters)

Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I think you can get better oil filters in Germany than we can here, such as Mann.

The Fram orange can of death utilizes fiberboard endcaps. It is not the engine killer it is made out to be, there are just better filters for the same price with metal endcaps.

See

No clearance issues with these larger oil filters which are larger than the parts books will list, and allow for more circulating oil.

The Magnefine filter does leak, very slowly around the seam, not enough for the fluid to ever make a spot in the driveway though.

I like the Mobil 1 M1-301 and will leave it on for 2 Oil changes.

The Fram XG-16 is a bit shorter than the M1-301, and this will make the remote transmission filter easier to install. As it filters to a much finer level than the rock catcher in the transmission pan, I'd not expect it to ever become restrictive, and it still has a Bypass if it did. But if it got clogged, the transmission is likely done for anyway

Old 09-18-2015, 04:13 PM
DanielW

OK, got it! Thanks!
Haven't seen my inline filter leaking. Will check that...

Old 09-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Supradude
Rookie
Default my set up

Sounds like you have your slipping issue addressed which isgood news. On the MagnaFine filters personally and this is just my opinion,great filters for power steering which is where I use them. For filtering andAutomatic transmission I prefer using a Wix 51622 filter with a cooler. The other brand well let’s just say a visit to BobistheOilGuy site should clearsthings up.

Last edited by Supradude; 09-27-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 PM
DanielW

@landyacht318:

So, on your list, I would think: The more element area, the better.
But the Fram "ultra" XG8A has almost the same small area as the "red can" PH8A. But a synthetic element...
Is there a thread about oil filters and their quality, that you can recommend?
Motorcraft should be fine? Except from being Ford stuff

Old 10-03-2015, 04:53 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

More info about engine oil filters than you care to know:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ne_Oil_Filters

I had not considered mounting my remote transission filter horizontally. Thay could make things easier. I'll have to crawl back under with that in mind.

Quick Reply: Trans getting hot