Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Headlight Puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 PM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Puzzler

Okay, I'm way no good with electrical systems.

My headlights won't come on. All the rest of the lights work -- cruise lights, brake lights, reverse lights, blinkers, hazards. Just not the headlights. Checked the voltage at the headlight sockets and it's registering voltage (however at lower than 12 volts.) Checked the headlights themselves by bypassing the switch and running them straight to the battery and they worked fine. Also checked the fuses and they were fine too.

So I know the switch is okay, the fuses are okay, and the headlights are okay. So where does this low voltage problem come from? Is there a relay I'm not aware of? Is it shorting out at a certain place (where should I check?) Is there a wire disconnected?

Right now I'm just running a bypass switch to get me home at night, but I'd really like to fix it the right way. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had anything other than a burnt bulb in any vehicle, sorry I don't have a suggestion but wonder did you flip the high beam to see if they work or not too? Were they working recently then suddenly quit working? maybe check the back side of the switch for loose or burnt connection, just trying to narrow things down?

Last edited by JFloors; 09-09-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:56 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with a 2002,

But, on my '89, after current leaves the headlight switch, it then is routed to the hi/low dimmer switch, which is on the steering column next to the ignition switch.

Neither my headlamp switch or Dimmer switch pass current for the headlamps anymore, they only activate the relays I installed to get higher voltages to the bulbs to make them significantly brighter. As a result the dimmer switch contacts do not wear out anymore,

They were in horrible condition at one point, and my headlamp were sometimes flickering. I was able to open it up, stretch some springs and polish the contacts, rather than spend 70$ for a new switch.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:58 AM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur

Thanks guys! This gives me some things to check for.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:57 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 04:16 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 09-10-2015, 09:19 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I would focus on the hi/low switch.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 PM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur

Thanks guys! I was thinking about replacing the entire harness, but that sounds like kind of a big job to me. I think I'll just start with replacing the switch and seeing if that fixes it. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Headlight Puzzler