Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge Ram 2500 5.2L won't start randomly

Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 PM
foul_owl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dodge Ram 2500 5.2L won't start randomly

Hi folks,

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 5.2L. Randomly it won't start. The shop told me that the fuel pressure looks good, and that it sounds like it's the ECU since it throws a code for the idle air control valve which he replaced twice.

It currently has a cardone 790389V ECU. The shop told me that to find an ECU on ebay it has to come programmed and they might have to know the mileage. However, I'm traveling with this thing in a few days so I'm going to order the ECU on ebay and have it shipped to me on the road in case the ECU goes out completely. Can the ECU be swapped in if the mileage is off at all? Because I won't know the mileage of the car when I'm going to get it swapped in.

Or can I take the ECU from ebay to a shop and have them program the correct mileage?

Does anyone know the original part number too?

Thanks!!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

When was the last time you did a complete tune-up? Sometimes a bad ignition coil will give a no start also.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:51 AM
foul_owl

Ah sorry I should have clarified. When the problem occurs, the power to the dash doesn't even work.

I just had the spark plugs and the air filter replaced. They didn't check the ignition coil, but the shop is 90% certain it's the computer.

I just need to figure out what computer to buy.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:45 AM
a1mfw
Rookie

When was the distributor cap,rotor and ignition wires changed? Those are part of a tuneup.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:39 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

these vans are notorious for bad grounds... check and clean all grounding points, engine to firewall, battery to firewall... find a product called Deoxit D5 and use that to help with electrical connections... do the easy stuff first before replacing the computer

intermittent problems are usually bad connection problems

I even spray D5 on the computer connectors

Old 10-08-2015, 09:12 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

I had to replace the ecu in my 2000 b350. I did not get mine "programmed" and it works fine. You may have a loose ecu connection somewhere. Try re-seating the 3 connectors and see if that makes any difference.

It's really too bad that it's too late to get some kind of a class-action suit against Dodge/Chrysler for their crappy ecu's, and the fact that they put the stupid things, of all places, in the hot engine compartment.

Last edited by sparkzz; 10-08-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I take it you mean it will crank over just not start? Need to clarify what no start is.

The shop told me that the fuel pressure looks good, and that it sounds like it's the ECU since it throws a code for the idle air control valve which he replaced twice.
Just because the iac code comes up doesn't mean the pcm is bad. A lot of aftermarket iac's can not work correctly and throw codes. You need to see if it has fuel and spark or neither when the no start condition happens. As mentioned there where some issues with the connections/harness going into the pcm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 2500 5.2L won't start randomly