Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 5.2 Ram Van intermittent starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 PM
vvzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 5.2 Ram Van intermittent starting problems

Hi everyone,
I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've looked around the forum and read quite a few threads on this problem, but was wondering if anyone would have any other suggestions.
So, few week ago my van developed the following symptoms:
1) While driving it will start to sputter down when you increase the accelerator. But i would be fine if you keep it steady
2) Then last weekend it wouldn't start(engine turning over, but no ignition) Then eventually it randomly started just fine. Then while driving it had the sputtering again and stalled. Few times I was able to restart normally. Other times - took a lot of turning engine over before it would start
3) Now it barely starts at all. By barely I mean if I keep cranking the starter and pressing the gas pedal all the way, it will turn over for a few seconds, fart, shake terribly, backfire and die. So it kind of feels like ignition timing is all bad.

Also, during this bad starting I still get spark, so I'm kind of ruling out a bad coil. I also replaced all ignition wires a month ago. No Error codes either.

So I'm thinking there's either a bad connection or a bad sensor and it is confusing the hell out of the ECU. Here's what I tried so far:
1) Throttle position sensor. I checked it out and it outputs nice smooth voltages from 1.5 to 5 volts. No dead spots or jumping(tested with analog meter)
2) PCM - I cleaned out all the connections. Also, other posts indicate that if PCM is bad, then the engine light won't light up
3) Fuel pump seems to be working(I can hear it)

Today I'm going to work on the van again and I'm planning on inspecting the following things(after reading many posts):
1) Crankshaft sensor
2) Camshaft sensor
3) I'm reading my dodge manual and it seems that in addition to PCM, there's also ECM that controls just the engine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to check?
Thanks!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:22 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The crankshaft sensor would be first on my list of parts to test or replace.
A test for the PCM is to warm it up with a hairdryer then see if the engine starts.
The coil can produce spark but not strong spark, so don't be too quick to rule it out.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:17 PM
vvzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
The crankshaft sensor would be first on my list of parts to test or replace.
A test for the PCM is to warm it up with a hairdryer then see if the engine starts.
The coil can produce spark but not strong spark, so don't be too quick to rule it out.
Just in case someone runs into the same problem. It was the coil! $10 fix.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.2 Ram Van intermittent starting problems