Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Belt tensioner is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:50 PM
bigjak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My van used to eat belts. What I found is the power steering pulley was pushed to far on the shaft. I don't know how that happened, maybe some previous repair before I bought it, maybe I did it somehow. I pulled it back up about 30000 miles ago and it hasn't moved on it's own. Before I couldn't get a belt to last 10000 miles!

Old 01-09-2016, 09:30 AM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjak
My van used to eat belts. What I found is the power steering pulley was pushed to far on the shaft. I don't know how that happened, maybe some previous repair before I bought it, maybe I did it somehow. I pulled it back up about 30000 miles ago and it hasn't moved on it's own. Before I couldn't get a belt to last 10000 miles!
thanks for the tip. I will check that out.
Funny thing is I did have the PS pump changed about 2 years ago and it whines every 4 days or so...maybe

Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certain manufacturers make a version of the belt tensioner that rattles from new right out of the box. I think maybe the spring is not engineered properly (read: CHEAP) and this is the end result. Have not owned my van for a few years now, but I think the last tensioner I bought from NAPA Auto Parts was a quality unit that did not rattle. Paid more for it but it was worth it.

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner is driving me nuts