Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Newbie Lucas Oil Additive Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 PM
cinemaphonic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Lucas Oil Additive Mistake?

Hey guys,

I've got a 96 ram van 2500 360 5.9L. I did an oil change today and I added Lucas oil additive with Valvoline 10w30 HM Synth Blend and I'm realizing now after doing some reading that it may not have been the best idea. Especially because I'm in Wisconsin and temps are dropping.

What do you guys think? Should I drain and redo the oil change? The biggest problem with the Lucas seems to be that it makes the viscosity too high, especially for cold winter starting.

To be honest I don't even know why I added the stuff. The marketing worked on me I guess. While I'm at it, should I refill in 5W30 for winter driving, or would 10W be ok in this engine?

THANK YOU.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 PM
cinemaphonic

I've only driven it a few miles since the oil change so I'm not too worried about it, but I don't want to cause unnecessary strain on my already good running engine. Just really dont know what I was thinking on this one. Hopefully I didn;t cause any damage already.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

You'll be fine, just don't rev your engine over 3K right after you start it. Not that you should ever do that anyway.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:54 PM
cinemaphonic

Originally Posted by alloro
You'll be fine, just don't rev your engine over 3K right after you start it. Not that you should ever do that anyway.
Thanks for the response. Do you think I should stick with 10W for the winter, or switch to 5W? it only has 115K on it.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:32 AM
a1mfw
Rookie

I am in Michigan and run 10w30 year round no problems.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Avoid synthetic blend. That is nothing but a marketing gimmick. Either straight dino or full synthetic. If you insist on blend, buy synthetic and dino separately and mix it yourself. That way at least you know that the ratio is.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:45 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have run full synthetic either Mobil 1 or Castrol 5-30 or 10-30 since about 1994. I have used Lucas Oil Treatment a bunch of times. Here in Cincinnati I don't get as cold as you but I would not worry about it. You will be fine. Lucas sells lots of that product. For the last 6-8 years I have used a product called Motor-Kote which I believe in, and does not change oil viscosity. I also went to a 5K and then to a 10K miles oil change interval with very good results. I had 224K miles on my '94 when I totaled it in 2006 and the engine always ran strong. I now have 192K on my 2001 van.

I have a magnetic heater about 3 X 4 inches square that I have on the bottom of the oil pan with the electric cord threaded up through the grill that I plug in if the weather is going to be super cold. It sticks on real well and just drive away after unplugging power cord. I have used it for maybe the last 15 years. I think I got it at Northern Tool. Before I got the heater, I really did not have a starting issue in cold weather as long as your battery is heavy duty and charged well, but it certainly does make a cold start easier on the engine.

Certainly NO need to drain and refill.

Quick Reply: Newbie Lucas Oil Additive Mistake?