Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need CA smog help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:16 AM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need CA smog help ASAP

Ok. So I have had major issues with the van. I think I worked them out. But, am stuck on the last 2. I need to make the I/M CAT AND HRT cleared out. How can I make this happen? The van is sitting right now, and I wont touch it for 8 hours.

Everything else is good, no codes, no CEL, just the CAT & HRT not completed/green

Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 AM
funair02
All Star

I think you need to run the van on the road for a couple of hours for those test to complete.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:40 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

I have. That isn't it. There is a drive cycle that needs to be done

Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar miles on after changing the battery a week or so before having the van inspected last april here in California, still mine wasn't ready and failed 1st time. I searched this drive cycle and did it the following morning and also checked this time on my el cheapo code reader and it check out as IM/ready. Sure enough it passed this time.
Choose a good highway where it's safe to do this and the 2 times where you decelerate (step 4 and 7) no touch the brake pedal but you can use the parking brake lightly to aid in decelerating but if there's room behind you and ahead just coast it .

RUNNING AN OBDII DRIVE CYCLE

Suppose you have "fixed" an emissions problem on an OBDII-equipped vehicle. How can you check your work? By performing what is called an "OBDII drive cycle."
The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle should be performed after you have erased any trouble codes from the PCM memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system monitors so that subsequent faults can be detected.
The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).
NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.
2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.
3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.
OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.
4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.
5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.
6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.
OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.
7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge

Old 01-09-2016, 01:11 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

Yup. Did all of that several times.

CAT is the only one not good

Old 01-10-2016, 03:29 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

Well, it failed... Not because of the CAT monitor, and no because of the pipe emissions, as those were fine.

My CEL decided to pop on the dyno! Misfire codes. (had previously been off for over 2 weeks, no pending or anything)

And he said my O2 was missing, and the wiring was tampered with (my dog at the wiring, so I replaced the plug with a computer plug) He said it has to be the factory plug, nothing else is acceptable, and it can't be spliced... HOWEVER!!! I actually tried to get the factory plug from DODGE, and it HAS to b spliced into the OE HARNESS!!!!

He also asked who put my cat on, when I told him I did it, he scoffed and said it isn't the right one. I said I was sure that it was and I bought the approved CA legal cat, and checked the numbers, He got back under the van, and wrote the numbers from th tag onto his hand, and looked them up. Didn't say anything eelse about that though...

So on the test sheet, it passed emissions, but he flagged the functional as Tampered and OBD2 monitors as failed.

The way my printout looks is weird, I think he may have doctored it a little bit.

Last edited by jimbo74; 01-10-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:17 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The guy sounds like he has a bug up his ***. Get it re-inspected at a different shop.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
The guy sounds like he has a bug up his ***. Get it re-inspected at a different shop.
Agree. Go to a different shop.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
jimbo74
Veteran
Old 01-12-2016, 11:58 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

it does appear my HC were also high

Quick Reply: Need CA smog help ASAP