Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 1500 van blower issues....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 AM
OhareFred
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 1500 van blower issues....

Hello all! I'm helping a friend out and am pulling my hair out with this.

First of all: 2003 Dodge Ram Van 1500, 6 cyln.

Issue: No blower at all, no movement of blend doors when switching from floor,dash, defrost.

What Ive done:
1: replaced ignition switch. The problem occured before the switch was replaced. The switch was replaced because he had to hold the key in order for anything to work (radio, directionals,etc.). Checked the wires at the ignition switch, all good, not burnt. Switch was not burnt either, just worn out from too many keys.
2: checked all fuses and relays. All good both in the fuse box and pcm under the hood.
3: checked for ground at resistor. Can get a test light to work properly when you move the dash switch (high,med,low,off) so I know the dash speed switch is good. Replaced the resistor, didnt help.
4: pulled the dash face, checked for broken wires behind ac/heat controls. Found nothing. Checked the wire loom coming from the ignition switch. Fully seated and locked, no loose connections.
What am I missing? Should there be power going to the vent selector switch? Anyone see something I am not? Does anyone have access to a wire diagram and color code?
Sorry for the long post but want to be through.
He wants to sell the van so spending more $$ without knowing for sure whats wrong is out.
Appreciate the help!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Surprisingly the one thing you haven't mentioned is if you're getting 12 volts at the blower motor. If you are the motor is dead.

For the vents, there is a vacuum hose that comes off the passenger side of the intake and runs to the vacuum reservoir behind the passenger headlight. Remove the panel below the headlight to see it. Make sure all of the vacuum line to and from the reservoir are good.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:28 AM
OhareFred

I checked for a ground and itwas good, but I cant remember ifI checked for 12 volts!! Duhhh! As soon as I get under there I will!

Old 01-17-2016, 12:50 PM
OhareFred

Not getting 12 volts at the motor. I have a good ground (connector to +battery) on one wire, nothing on the other (when hooked to -battery). Bad wire somewhere, but where?

Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by OhareFred
Not getting 12 volts at the motor.
You checked with the key on and the heating system turned on, correct?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:01 PM
OhareFred

Syes, key on in run position. Radio, windows, power seat all work. Check with ranrunning also.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:14 PM
funair02
All Star

My service manual for the blower under diagnosis says:

Faulty...

fuse
wiring
resistor
relay
ignition switch
heater ac/mode rotary switch
high speed blower motor relay
blower motor itself
ignition run relay

also I had an issue with my blend door motor also...I couldn't figure it out so I took it my favorite shop. He found that my door inside the evaporator case was rusted and the linkage was totally trash - and I live in Florida - stuff usually doesn't rust like that...

Quick Reply: 2003 1500 van blower issues....