Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1997 Dodge B2500 Starts, sometimes Stalls in the first mile

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:57 PM
aprildaisy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I have in mind to to possibly buy now is relays. We're still using the van as it's all I got running presently. If the relays fix the problem, we'll reassess keeping it or not.

Well, the older vehicles needed less to run them too...now everything's got relays, sensors, and lots more "stuff" to make them run. lol

Old 04-17-2016, 09:34 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by Doc Joe
Hello, I am new to this site and came across this thread and I have close to the same problem.
What is the CPS??
Everything else on the list I knew what they were but this one.

Also my 1995 3.9 has 175K on the clock and have no idea what has or has not been done to her, other than what I can see that looks new or replaced. From what I read you're saying that I should replace all these items??

Thanks and sorry to hijack your thread.
Doc.

The CPS is the crankshaft position sensor. They are notorious for failing immediately and when it is dead, the van is too. The OEM lasts a along time and I would consider the next time I need one a dealer item. I have been just changing my every year (when I change the plugs and inspecting the wires, cap and rotor) using a Herko from an ebay suppler. I also change the coil too from the same vendor. They cost as a total of 35 bucks so I look at it as insurance. I also keep the old ones in my van incase one decides to crap out on me.

Of the ones below, the items that should be changed regularly are:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8.

I have changed everything below since I was going through some issues when I first got my van too. I believe the stock TPS/MAP and IAC are pretty good items though.

I did get tired of the wires frying on me every 8 months so I broke down and bought ceramic ones from Accell and they were one of the best upgrades I ever did to the van. No misfire codes for over a year now. The wires in our van, esp. the cheapies, really only last 6 months.

If you aren't getting misfire codes, you are probably OK and total replacement of all items isn't required, but as you see, most of these are consumable items. I wanted to let you know what you can get into when diagnosing your van.

1. CPS
2. Coil.
3. Plugs
4. Wires
5. Dist. Rotor
6. Pick up coil in distributor
7. Clean and/or replace the IAC
8. O2 sensors (Denso or NTK Only)
9. MAP sensor
10. TPS

Old 04-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aprildaisy
The only thing I have in mind to to possibly buy now is relays. We're still using the van as it's all I got running presently. If the relays fix the problem, we'll reassess keeping it or not.

Well, the older vehicles needed less to run them too...now everything's got relays, sensors, and lots more "stuff" to make them run. lol
This is one of the main reason for wanting to buy an older vehicle as they have less and less BS on them. OMG anything new has a ton of crap on it and most of it is BS no one wants.

I hope that it works out for you in the end and you have a great van to drive with less and less issues.

Doc.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funair02
The CPS is the crankshaft position sensor. They are notorious for failing immediately and when it is dead, the van is too. The OEM lasts a along time and I would consider the next time I need one a dealer item. I have been just changing my every year (when I change the plugs and inspecting the wires, cap and rotor) using a Herko from an ebay suppler. I also change the coil too from the same vendor. They cost as a total of 35 bucks so I look at it as insurance. I also keep the old ones in my van incase one decides to crap out on me.

Of the ones below, the items that should be changed regularly are:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8.

I have changed everything below since I was going through some issues when I first got my van too. I believe the stock TPS/MAP and IAC are pretty good items though.

I did get tired of the wires frying on me every 8 months so I broke down and bought ceramic ones from Accell and they were one of the best upgrades I ever did to the van. No misfire codes for over a year now. The wires in our van, esp. the cheapies, really only last 6 months.

If you aren't getting misfire codes, you are probably OK and total replacement of all items isn't required, but as you see, most of these are consumable items. I wanted to let you know what you can get into when diagnosing your van.

1. CPS
2. Coil.
3. Plugs
4. Wires
5. Dist. Rotor
6. Pick up coil in distributor
7. Clean and/or replace the IAC
8. O2 sensors (Denso or NTK Only)
9. MAP sensor
10. TPS
Hey funair02,

Thanks for the update and explanation of the CPS and I should have known that from owning my 7.3 Powerstroke. I drove my Mark III home and before we even tagged it I was trying to find the problem of the vacuum leak and why it was leaking. I know the last guy replaced the TPS and another part on the FI base. Once I get the van running I will start checking all of the items on your list. I did plan on replacing the temp and oil pressure sending units as they are cheap and want to make sure they are working correctly. I did notice the plugs are AC, are they OK in the van??
Doc.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:27 AM
aprildaisy

Hubbs said last night he didn't want to get rid of the van and that we'd find the issue. My son will be driving it for the next few days and he'll get an idea of what it is doing firsthand.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:23 PM
aprildaisy

Hubbs drove it and seems to think it could be the torque converter lockup bit. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:41 AM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by aprildaisy
Hubbs drove it and seems to think it could be the torque converter lockup bit. Suggestions? Thoughts?
It could be but this is exactly when you want to use an advanced scan tool. A good, 20+ year tech with his own shop is who I would see. See, if you coast of 0 MPH and the torque converter signal reads ON, then you have found your problem.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge B2500 Starts, sometimes Stalls in the first mile