Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1997 Dodge B2500 Starts, sometimes Stalls in the first mile

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 PM
aprildaisy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dodge B2500 Starts, sometimes Stalls in the first mile

Hello folks! I registered simply to be able to post about this problem of mine and hope someone here has a great solution to consider!

I own a 1997 Dodge B2500. Recently it has taken to starting and sometimes stalling within the first mile of driving. For instance, I can start it...drive it a mile down the road to the red light and stop. It sometimes stalls at this point. If it does stall, I simply have to wait 20 minutes and then it'll start right back up and go. If it doesn't stall, I'm good to go wherever I need to from that point on.

While we were troubleshooting this problem, it so happened that it stalled while shifting gears for a few times. It also is easier to start in neutral more often than not.

We've thought of just about everything we can think of to fix the problem. The one thing we haven't done is bought relays (starter relay, etc.) in that front fuse box under the hood.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:23 AM
a1mfw
Rookie

What engine? When was the last time it was tuned up? Could be faulty wires or bad ignition coil.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:00 AM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by a1mfw
What engine? When was the last time it was tuned up? Could be faulty wires or bad ignition coil.
Agreed...

IMO, and I did this to an extend with my van...When you don't know the history of the van - and it is over 100k miles I would replace (with good quality components:

1. CPS
2. Coil.
3. Plugs
4. Wires
5. Dist. Rotor
6. Pick up coil in distributor
7. Clean and/or replace the IAC
8. O2 sensors (Denso or NTK Only)
9. MAP sensor
10. TPS
11. Check for vacuum leaks - esp. look down the throttle body and see if there is any oil in the intake, if there is you have a bad belly pan gasket.

These 11 things above are the standard issues with our vans. Lastly, if you have an engine issue and you have done all of the above, usually the PCM is at fault at that time. Or maybe cracked heads (rare but not uncommon).

Other than the labor involved concerning the belly pan, everything above is relatively cheap, easy to do by yourself and most of these parts should be replaced every 100-150k miles anyways. Many of these parts get the 'gremlins' after awhile and no scanner will tell you that the sensor is bad unless you have a real $2-5k dollar scanner or a DRB tool that can do freeze frame, real time data.

If you don't do the due diligence above, you will end up on wild goose chases or you may get lucky, but the fore mentioned is usually the way it goes.

Good luck.

EDIT: the fuel pumps in these van get finicky at their EOL. I forgot to add that to the list too

Last edited by funair02; 04-05-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:37 PM
aprildaisy

Hubbs said it's a 3.9L V6. It all started with the computer going out. We replaced that, dis cap, coil, roter, etc.

For some reason, Hubbs decided the other day it was bad wires (Son said the plugs looked good). New wires were put on it. She still gave us trouble for two more days (clearing codes, maybe the engine didn't realize it had more new parts, lol). Hubbs said this morning she's running really well. She's getting driven around town right now as a test.

So, we'll see how it goes from here. Hopefully, totally great! lol

Old 04-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

drive it a mile down the road to the red light and stop. It sometimes stalls at this point. If it does stall, I simply have to wait 20 minutes and then it'll start right back up and go.
Are you saying it wont crack over or will crank but not start? Do you have any codes? This if for the ram trucks but should work on vans also.

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 04-05-2016, 05:53 PM
aprildaisy

I am saying it would crank, but if it didn't start immediately or stalled within the first mile, it wouldn't start again unless I let it sit for 20 minutes. Then, after 20 minutes, it would crank right up and drive.

We've had various codes, some of which said misfire in a cylinder (would change which cylinder each time actually). I can't remember what the other codes were.

The boys just got back with my van and said she behaved well all day. I've got my fingers crossed that we're good to go now. So many things have been replaced that it should be good for awhile. lol

Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Where the crank and cam sensors replaced? They can fail and not throw a code even sporadically. The pcm needs inputs from both of them or it will not start. From what you are explaining sound like what it could be.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:00 AM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funair02
Agreed...

IMO, and I did this to an extend with my van...When you don't know the history of the van - and it is over 100k miles I would replace (with good quality components:

1. CPS
2. Coil.
3. Plugs
4. Wires
5. Dist. Rotor
6. Pick up coil in distributor
7. Clean and/or replace the IAC
8. O2 sensors (Denso or NTK Only)
9. MAP sensor
10. TPS
11. Check for vacuum leaks - esp. look down the throttle body and see if there is any oil in the intake, if there is you have a bad belly pan gasket.

These 11 things above are the standard issues with our vans. Lastly, if you have an engine issue and you have done all of the above, usually the PCM is at fault at that time. Or maybe cracked heads (rare but not uncommon).

Other than the labor involved concerning the belly pan, everything above is relatively cheap, easy to do by yourself and most of these parts should be replaced every 100-150k miles anyways. Many of these parts get the 'gremlins' after awhile and no scanner will tell you that the sensor is bad unless you have a real $2-5k dollar scanner or a DRB tool that can do freeze frame, real time data.

If you don't do the due diligence above, you will end up on wild goose chases or you may get lucky, but the fore mentioned is usually the way it goes.

Good luck.

EDIT: the fuel pumps in these van get finicky at their EOL. I forgot to add that to the list too
Hello, I am new to this site and came across this thread and I have close to the same problem.
What is the CPS??
Everything else on the list I knew what they were but this one.

Also my 1995 3.9 has 175K on the clock and have no idea what has or has not been done to her, other than what I can see that looks new or replaced. From what I read you're saying that I should replace all these items??

Thanks and sorry to hijack your thread.
Doc.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:37 AM
aprildaisy

Please hijack away Doc. lol I the the list is for consideration of what to replace. I've replaced lots of those things with no solution myself.

On the advice of a guy who saw me on the side of the road (again), I bought a temperature sensor (it's called a cooling sensor actually, near the thermostat). He said that solved his problem. While mine did need replacing, it didn't solve the problem.

I've kind of given up on the van and am looking to sell it for cheap and let someone else figure it out.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aprildaisy
Please hijack away Doc. lol I the the list is for consideration of what to replace. I've replaced lots of those things with no solution myself.

On the advice of a guy who saw me on the side of the road (again), I bought a temperature sensor (it's called a cooling sensor actually, near the thermostat). He said that solved his problem. While mine did need replacing, it didn't solve the problem.

I've kind of given up on the van and am looking to sell it for cheap and let someone else figure it out.
I am sorry to hear that your going to sell it. I cannot believe that over the years someone has not figured out the main reason for all of these issues?? These vans are 20+ years old and no one has found the main problem?? Not blaming anyone just thinking out loud and wondering is it a set of problems or one main problem?? I own a Kawasaki KLR650 that when I got it and went to the forum they said here are a set of things you must do and things to watch out for.

If this is a wiring issue then we know at some point we need to replace a part of or all of it. Sad that Dodge not learned from it mistakes and moved to having a bullet proof set of vehicles they now make. But I am going to guess that is not the case. I know all car MFG have there issues, but come on... Sorry for the rant, seems like everything these day is built like crap and no one cares anymore... Sad...

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge B2500 Starts, sometimes Stalls in the first mile