Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Intermittent no spark condition.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 PM
IcantDo55
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I just tag in a 12V lead to the power wire to the coil and see if it will start? Or is what ever no powering the coil also no powering the dizzy?

Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by IcantDo55
Can I just tag in a 12V lead to the power wire to the coil and see if it will start? Or is what ever no powering the coil also no powering the dizzy?
you can...

FWIW the coil is powered by I think the PCM...Id have to check but I believe it is.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:22 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Coil

Refresh my memory... did you swap the ASD relay with one of the others to see if it made a difference? Your 12 volts for the coil does come from the ASD relay, but it should be ok to jump 12 volts to it for testing. Be aware that when you do this, the fuel injectors and PCM connector 3, pin 12 are on the same circuit.
The PCM triggers the coil to fire by providing a momentary ground to it. When the engine is not running (key on-engine off) you should get +12volts on both wires in the connector on the bottom of the coil with it plugged in. If you don't, then the primary winding of the coil is bad.
The only power in the distributor is the high voltage spark from the coil (except the ignition pickup aka camshaft position sensor. It IS involved in turning the fuel injectors on, but has no control of the spark.)

Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
Refresh my memory... did you swap the ASD relay with one of the others to see if it made a difference? Your 12 volts for the coil does come from the ASD relay, but it should be ok to jump 12 volts to it for testing. Be aware that when you do this, the fuel injectors and PCM connector 3, pin 12 are on the same circuit.
The PCM triggers the coil to fire by providing a momentary ground to it. When the engine is not running (key on-engine off) you should get +12volts on both wires in the connector on the bottom of the coil with it plugged in. If you don't, then the primary winding of the coil is bad.
The only power in the distributor is the high voltage spark from the coil (except the ignition pickup aka camshaft position sensor. It IS involved in turning the fuel injectors on, but has no control of the spark.)
YES ASD swaped no change.

Adding 12v to coil...should I disconect stock wiring to try it, or just tap in 12v?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb 12v to coil

You can do it without disconnecting the other wire. Problem is, the connector on the coil provides both the 12 volts and the signal from the PCM. It must remain connected to get the firing pulse from the PCM. I don't like compromising the wiring or plug weather/waterproofing in exposed locations without being prepared to reseal them.
Remember, the same 12 volt wire also feeds the injectors, so maybe jumper it there. I would rather use a meter to check for the 12 volts at the coil and injectors first. If no voltage there, then check the wire for continuity from the ASD relay pin 87 to the coil.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb Injector Firing

Something else I just remembered that might help you is a "noid" light. It plugs into any of the injector connectors and flashes if there is a firing pulse from the PCM along with 12 volts from the ASD relay. I think you can borrow one at Autozone and maybe other auto parts stores.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:53 PM
funair02
All Star

How is your battery? Is the electrolyte low?

Just a thought

Old 04-19-2016, 11:36 PM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Originally Posted by funair02
How is your battery? Is the electrolyte low?

Just a thought
New, maybe a year. Got solid 12.8v

Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Ok there are two wires plugged into the coil. What should they read. I got zero voltage on both when key on or off? Also neither seems to be a ground. SMH?

NEED A SCHEMATIC! lol

Old 04-20-2016, 04:11 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Smile Coil Wiring

Go back and look at posts 9, 13, and 15 in this thread where I told you how the coil gets its power.
PCM turns the ASD relay on, which sends 12 volts to the PCM, Ignition Coil, Fuel Injectors, and O2 Sensors.
Then the PCM, to simplify it, after it gets signals from the crankshaft and camshaft (ignition pickup) sensors, fires the ignition coil for spark, and the fuel injectors.

I will look up the wiring in my '01 manual and give you the connections and wire colors.
I don't have a manual for your '03 van, and it might be different. Maybe someone else watching this thread can help.

Quick Reply: Intermittent no spark condition.