Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Intermittent no spark condition.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:31 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
Go back and look at posts 9, 13, and 15 in this thread where I told you how the coil gets its power.
PCM turns the ASD relay on, which sends 12 volts to the PCM, Ignition Coil, Fuel Injectors, and O2 Sensors.
Then the PCM, to simplify it, after it gets signals from the crankshaft and camshaft (ignition pickup) sensors, fires the ignition coil for spark, and the fuel injectors.

I will look up the wiring in my '01 manual and give you the connections and wire colors.
I don't have a manual for your '03 van, and it might be different. Maybe someone else watching this thread can help.
So I tested relay outside car and it works. But if relay should turn on when key put in run position its does not. I can plug it in while key on and it does not click. I did test by jumpering past relay in the box and it made no difference.

Next, my understanding (mostly on older V8s) is the coil is supplied with 12v constantly when key is in run position. Is this one different?

Sorry to be a PITA man but I really appreciate the help.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Ignition Coil Wiring

The ASD Relay provides 12 volts at pin 87 on a dark green/orange wire to Joint Connector 2, pin 15 (in the PDC); then out pin 16 to Connector 130, pin 4 (large connector with a bolt in it) in the PDC; then to Splice 123; then to Splice 117; finally to pin 1 on the Ignition Coil. The wire color remains the same from start to finish.
The Ignition Coil Driver in the PCM is connected from PCM connector 1, pin 7 on a black/grey wire to pin 2 on the Ignition Coil.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:14 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb ASD Relay Inputs

The battery voltage is supplied to the ASD Relay by 30 amp Fuse F6, on Relay pins 30 and 86.
The Automatic Shutdown Relay Control signal comes from the PCM connector 3, pin 3 on a Dark Blue/Yellow wire through Connector 130, pin 14 (in the PDC) to pin 85 of the ASD Relay. The wire color remains the same from start to finish.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb ASD Jumper

If you jump pins 30 and 87 in the relay slot, you should get 12 volts on the coil and injectors. Make sure you have 12 volts coming in on pins 30 and 86. If not, check fuse F6.

To answer your question about constant power to the coil, not if the engine is not running. But, when everything is right, the PCM turns the ASD Relay on for ~2 seconds when it starts cranking. If the PCM gets signals from the crank and cam sensors, then the ASD relay is kept on, providing constant power to the Coil and Injectors.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 04-20-2016 at 05:37 AM. Reason: add last paragraph
Old 05-03-2016, 01:59 PM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Well gave up after trying everything I know and brought it to a car electrical place locally. After some diagnostics they determine the PCM is bad. This a common thing to go bad? Anyway, they want $991 to put new one in and program it and he says thats the "next step" and wont necessarily solve the problem. WTF?

Do these PCM need to be programmed?
Can i get a junk yard one?
Can this one be fixed?

Thanks all!

Old 05-04-2016, 03:21 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

That's ridiculous. Get the number off the PCM and see if there is a used one on Ebay or somewhere for 200-300 bux. A used one does not require a reprogram. Just plug and play.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Originally Posted by sparkzz
That's ridiculous. Get the number off the PCM and see if there is a used one on Ebay or somewhere for 200-300 bux. A used one does not require a reprogram. Just plug and play.
Are you sure it does not require reprogram? I have had two places tell me it does.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb Pcm

My understanding is that if it is the same year, model, engine, and transmission, that it is plug-and-play. I think for it to work the best, your VIN and mileage need to be programmed.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 AM
funair02
All Star

You do not have to have it reprogrammed but there are different versions of the software. I believe there has been three or four reversions for my 3.9.
One of those versions is called the "death flash." This was for customers complaining of knocking and pinging on acceleration. If you get one with this code, your van will feel significantly slower - just FYI. From a junkyard you probably have a 5-10% chance of getting this version.

Last edited by funair02; 05-04-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have similar symptoms, start stall, start, stall no restart... I also did not get spark
new reman PCM did not help me

I took out the instrument cluster on my '01 and now I have idled for an hour plus several times... although I have yet to actually drive the van... it never idled over 20 minutes before without stalling and usually much quicker... still fooling with this problem but NOT a daily driver so I am taking my time

see thread stall, start, NO Bus

Quick Reply: Intermittent no spark condition.