Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine remove & replave

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 PM
brokedown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine remove & replave

Hello dodge gangers! I have a 1998 ram van 1500 with a 3.9L engine. The engine is shot and I will replace it. My questions are: what years and from what models can I pull and engine that will be an identical fit ?? The dakota, durango, and ram truck all have this same engine, but will they fit with the ram van frame and engine compartment, and engine accessories? Also, is there a specific set of years that I would be limited to? I have an option on a 3.9 from a 2003 dakota but don't know if it would be a fit, that's a 5 model year difference. Mine is NOT the magnum engine. I am preferring a 3.9 identical exchange because a van engine remove & replace is adequately difficult and I'm not interested in adding problems. But, the 5.2L (318) engine is easy to find with low miles and if it is a possible replacement engine without modifications, I could go that route as well. Lot's of you guys are smart and knowledgeable about this stuff and any advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:26 AM
iodj44
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should you choose to do the engine replacement which in a van is a pain in the a**, please take this advice use a direct replacement. What I mean is the same year or years that are a exact drop in salvage yards can tell you which years are compatible.

You will save yourself a lot of time and money.

Quick Reply: Engine remove & replave