Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Rear Leaf Spring Suspension B2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:26 PM
Mrs.K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Leaf Spring Suspension B2500

Problem: Rust has eaten the rear driver leaf spring hanger. I have taken the van into a small rural mechanic who was willing to repair, but would have to outsource for welding as there is 'nothing left to attach a new hanger to'. I have the shop manual, steel for support, a welder capable for the job, and a husband who is willing. My van has no other issues and runs perfectly, so I am trying hard to keep her going!
The plan is to drop the tank (thankfully we have it empty!) to weld support for the new hangers (replacing both), attach hangers and remount the leaf springs. I plan on replacing the fuel pump while I have the tank off as well and treating the rust areas with Eastwood frame coating (internally and externally). I am looking for any advice, tips, or anything I forgot that you'd like to pass along. Thanks for reading!
~Mrs.K

I have included photos of the rear driver leaf spring hanger area rust and mud (sorry for the mud). The body damage from the leaf spring is ready to be repaired once the leaf spring is reattached. Thanks again for any assistance! Only been driven to the mechanic since problem was found.

Rear driver side rusted leaf spring hanger

Old 04-18-2016, 03:08 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs.K
I plan on replacing the fuel pump while I have the tank off

I am looking for any advice, tips, or anything I forgot that you'd like to pass along.
Rather than replace a working fuel pump, you might be better off cutting an access panel into the floor above it while the tank is out and you have the welder guy handy. This way you can change it rather easy when the time comes. It also allows easy access to the pump and harness should any troubleshooting be necessary in the future.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:56 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

looks way too rusty to fool with JMMHO

Old 04-23-2016, 05:49 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in Florida, I only see that bad of rust on steel that has been in salt water for years...wow -- sorry to see that.

I would see if you can find a marine welder. Off the top of my head, that is who I would go to since here they are the ones that deal with that type of rot.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:14 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at cutting that general area out of a donor vehicle and bringing it to the welder.

Quick Reply: Rear Leaf Spring Suspension B2500