Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Vacuum line??

Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vacuum line??

Hello Gents,

I am new to this web site and this van.

I am working on a 1995 B2500 3.9 V6 that has a vacuum leak. So I am stripping the intake manifold to replace the seals. While looking for and removing the vacuum lines a few of what was Semi-hard plastic vacuum lines have become hard and brittle lines and so far I have had 3 of them break.

Where do I get more of this line?? I don't care if it is curved like the factory stuff, as I can add 90 rubber bends for corners.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Doc.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:20 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get bulk vacuum hose at Napa. You can also get tees and couplers there too.

The plastic lines are hard to restore, but it can be done with electrical tape, shrink wire wrap and other tubular objects with heat.

If you want to molded vacuum hoses, a junk yard may be the best bet. I haven't had to buy any new ones (I fixed my old ones like above) but normally molded ones either dealer or maybe Dorman.

Do you think you have a belly pan issue or is it the actually gaskets?

I do remember just as a future point, that you have to be very careful when putting the intake back on since the front gasket likes to move around a lot if you don't have the alternator / pulley bracket off.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur

Originally Posted by funair02
You can get bulk vacuum hose at Napa. You can also get tees and couplers there too.

The plastic lines are hard to restore, but it can be done with electrical tape, shrink wire wrap and other tubular objects with heat.

If you want to molded vacuum hoses, a junk yard may be the best bet. I haven't had to buy any new ones (I fixed my old ones like above) but normally molded ones either dealer or maybe Dorman.

Do you think you have a belly pan issue or is it the actually gaskets?

I do remember just as a future point, that you have to be very careful when putting the intake back on since the front gasket likes to move around a lot if you don't have the alternator / pulley bracket off.

I did find some of that line at O'Reillys but it is only 3' of it and I can tell I need much more than that as I plan to replace all of that hard plastic line in fear of one of the lines having a crack and leaking. Also most of rubber connectors are weather cracked and I want to replace them also.

One more thing, do I need to replace the intake bolts?? My book says yes but doing some reading on the net they say no. What do you say?? It is $30.00 to replace them?? I know it is $30.00 I can spend on other things.

Thank you for all your help with the van. We are trying to get it up and running before June as we feel that my wife will be placed on the transplant list we have been working for. We have to drive from Wichita, KS to Dallas TX about a 6 hour drive and I want the van to be as right as I can make it.
Doc.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:46 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Joe
I did find some of that line at O'Reillys but it is only 3' of it and I can tell I need much more than that as I plan to replace all of that hard plastic line in fear of one of the lines having a crack and leaking. Also most of rubber connectors are weather cracked and I want to replace them also.

One more thing, do I need to replace the intake bolts?? My book says yes but doing some reading on the net they say no. What do you say?? It is $30.00 to replace them?? I know it is $30.00 I can spend on other things.

Thank you for all your help with the van. We are trying to get it up and running before June as we feel that my wife will be placed on the transplant list we have been working for. We have to drive from Wichita, KS to Dallas TX about a 6 hour drive and I want the van to be as right as I can make it.
Doc.

YW You don't have to change the bolts...they are fine.

I would hit up NAPA for vacuum line. They are better about things like that.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur

Thanks Funair...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum line??