Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'95 Evap test failed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:14 PM
marc.reichenberger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '95 Evap test failed

Took my '95 van to get smog tested today (California) and it passed the emissions and gas cap tests, but failed the evap test. From what I've read, this means there's likely a leak in the hose connecting the charcoal box to the gas tank.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.
1. Are there any simple/easy to fix reasons that it would have failed besides a faulty hose? It literally just got out of a trusted mechanic's shop and mechanic didn't mention any problems with the evap system.
2. Where is the charcoal box located?
3. Is this something an average person can fix on their own? How much would parts cost?
4. How much should I expect to pay if I can't fix it on my own?

Old 04-23-2016, 05:54 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have a check engine light on? Being in Florida, we haven't had emissions testing for two decades now. A mechanic wouldn't find the problem unless the light was on.

I am unsure why you would fail, but normally the valve on top of the canister sticks or the hose falls off or cracks somewhere. I am unsure where it is on your 95 but on my 02 in is down under that battery.

It is a easy job. Parts are less than $25. You probably only need a hose...

A job like this at a shop would run about 80-100 bucks

Quick Reply: '95 Evap test failed