Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Removing rear heater unit

Old 04-30-2016, 04:30 AM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear heater unit

Hello,

I have a 2002 Ram Van 3500 that used to be a passenger van. It has a heater unit located in front of the left rear wheel well. I want to remove it. Does anybody have any insight on how to go about doing this? There are hoses and other connections that concern me. I don't want to disconnect the wrong thing or plug the wrong hose and screw up whatever else it's all connected to. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

There are 2 tee fitting in the heater hoses under the hood. One pair comes from the engine, one goes to the front heater core, and the last pair goes to the rear heater. Disconnect and plug the ones going to the rear heater, flush the hoses with water just so you're not dealing with coolant back there, then remove the heater.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:20 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

BTW, why would you want to remove the rear heater in a passenger van?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:34 AM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur

Thanks for the info! The reason I'm removing it is because I'm converting my van into a camper-van. I live in Hawaii, so I really don't have a need for it anyway. It's just taking up space. Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2022, 09:17 PM
Albertb2887
Default Same problem.

Originally Posted by alloro
There are 2 tee fitting in the heater hoses under the hood. One pair comes from the engine, one goes to the front heater core, and the last pair goes to the rear heater. Disconnect and plug the ones going to the rear heater, flush the hoses with water just so you're not dealing with coolant back there, then remove the heater.
How do you plug the ones going to the rear do they sell a plug for it? If so what is it called and where can I find it??

Old 03-30-2022, 09:19 PM
Albertb2887
Default My rear heater is leaking coolant

So my rear heater is leaking coolant out and you said to plug the t connection. Do they sell a plug for it. If so what is it called and where can I find it at?

Old 03-31-2022, 10:45 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Replace the hoses that have a Tee in them.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:36 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Albertb2887
So my rear heater is leaking coolant out and you said to plug the t connection. Do they sell a plug for it. If so what is it called and where can I find it at?

It's a rather old thread but the problem does pop up from time to time. On refrigerant, you can get a block off kit on Ebay. For the coolant, I like to keep the coolant flowing so rust and sludge doesn't build up. Disconnect the two hoses and splice them together with a pipe. I've seen dedicated splice connectors for this. If they are both the same size i.d., I'd just use a piece of metal pipe and a couple of hose clamps. If it's not the core but the hose going to the rear, trace it up front and splice it there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing rear heater unit