Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

help with plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:51 PM
hflak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with plugs!

Changing plugs on 2002 dodge ram van 2500 5.2L.
3 plugs out, no problem, but I can't get the socket seated on the other 5 plugs. Blew out the tubular heat shielding the surrounds the plugs, thinking there was debris blocking the socket ..but it still wont seat. If I didn't know better, I would think the socket was too small ...but of course that can't be it! HELP!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Tried a different size socket yet?

Old 05-28-2016, 10:21 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may just want to take those heat shields out before pulling the plugs to clean around them so the accumulated crud doesn't fall in to the cylinder, plus you can see what is causing the socket from seating...
Those shields seem locked in good but come out. Most of mine I was able to grab the lip of the opening with channel locks and wiggle while pulling out. A couple were gave me trouble and needed to be squeezed just a little bit then tapped side to side before wiggle/pullling to get out. There is a slot cut down the whole side of the tube to compress it a bit.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:35 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the spark plugs that take the big and middle sized spark plug sockets both fit into the cylinder head. Try different sockets but make sure you buy the ones that are listed on the sticker under your hood, do not use a website or manual to select spark plugs.
Steve

Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 AM
hflak

it's not sockets, it's these damn heat tubes. They have become deformed over the years and have to come out! And that's WAAAY easier said than done!

Last edited by hflak; 05-29-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of threads on these spark plug heat shields if you search it here. once you figure out the getting the first one out of there, the rest will be easier, you'll see

Old 05-29-2016, 04:25 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Use a hammer and a piece of rod about 3' long. Place the end of the rod on the far edge of the heat shield and give the other end a good whack.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by JFloors
You may just want to take those heat shields out before pulling the plugs to clean around them so the accumulated crud doesn't fall in to the cylinder, plus you can see what is causing the socket from seating...
Those shields seem locked in good but come out. Most of mine I was able to grab the lip of the opening with channel locks and wiggle while pulling out. A couple were gave me trouble and needed to be squeezed just a little bit then tapped side to side before wiggle/pullling to get out. There is a slot cut down the whole side of the tube to compress it a bit.
^^^^ agreed.

Robogrips are great for this job...also a couple of cans of brake cleaner and a can of PB blaster.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 AM
hflak

thanks all. Ok, I got the 2 easily accessible problem tubes out (8,6), had to completely destroy them in the process, but that's ok, they deserved it! However, I'm not even gonna try these other 3 tubes (4,2,3). They are toward the front and almost impossible to work with. I'm thinking of taking it someplace.

Quick Reply: help with plugs!