Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission issues

Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=alloro;3315061]There is no front band. There is the intermediate (kick down) band for which the adjustment is external to the tranny[QUOTE]

Thanks Alloro, tomato tomahto I suppose... I'd seen some of the postings on this and seems the kick down and front band are pretty much one in the same. Just above the linkage on the driver side is the 3/4 lock nut and T40 torx stud being the adjuster screw, Geno's site calls it the front band where I found the procedure > http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...T_band_adj.htm

I pulled a knuckle head move today trying this today. Loosened the nut as instructed (3-5 turns) began to tighten the torx screw with my harbor freight 1/4 torque ratchet set at 72 inch pounds and snugged it down and went in further than i had expected and the nut fell off. The screw was now about flush with the hole and snugging tighter than what I thought was tighter than should be and still no click from the torque ratchet yet. Not wanting to over tighten I backed off the 2 7/8 turns on the screw and tightened the nut to secure it.

The screw itself (backed off now) was now about flush with the nut where as before the adjustment the screw showed a few threads outward past the nut(not sure how many because dummy me didn't count before tightening!) Took for a test run and at about 10 mph tried to shift up but bogged down like it hit a low gear! let off the pedal and would more or less idle speed in 1st under 10mph , Dang!

back home again and backed it out about as far as the grime line on the threads showed was the setting before I monkeyed around and set the nut again and took for a spin but same deal, 1-2 shift was good but no upshift to drive at all, even letting off the throttle like it had been doing previously of today.

Seems I am learning a lesson here... I'm set on bringing it to the transmission expert now but any suggestions from a more experienced brother here regarding what went wrong or a helpful hint at another stab at adjusting?

Last edited by JFloors; 10-23-2016 at 08:48 PM. Reason: did not explain first test run corectly
Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Try using the 1/4" torque wrench at a lower setting to see if it clicks. If it does then work you way up in steps of 15-20 in. lbs.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Unhappy

Appreciate that suggestion, actually did try that a couple times on a bolt and this ratchet wants to tighten no matter what setting... It's a new ratchet that I had only used the thing once a few months ago on a light job that asked for inch lbs torque! bummer! Wasn't expensive so guess I'll try to return n swap it or get another elsewhere and give it one more go when the weather allows.

In the meanwhile setting up to get it looked at, the van is much easier to work out of the the pickup so sooner resolved the better

Old 10-25-2016, 01:43 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JFloors
Wasn't expensive so guess I'll try to return n swap it or get another
HF usually lets you swap a tool forever without a receipt. To return it for a refund you will need the receipt.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Thumbs up

I took it back last evening with no receipt and the manager said these are guaranteed for life so grabbed a new one and off I went. Will give it a try this afternoon again if not raining. Thanks

Old 10-25-2016, 09:13 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Well, the new wrench worked but the attempt to adjust did not so put it in better hands today. From my description Ed mentioned a couple things but would give me a call tomorrow to let me know what he found out. I'll update when I know.

My first and last transmission replacement was at about 240k in '09 or so as I can recall (now at 287k) and not cheap. At that time didn't expect to keep the van this long. Now I think I may get buried in it... lol

One request if you don't mind... Ed owned a transmission shop many years here and known well, sold it retired and has a home shop and fixes transmission for supplemental income and cares for his wife who has a long term health illness. If you are a praying man please say a word for Ed and his wife for health, comfort and peace in his family. Thanks

Old 10-26-2016, 04:14 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found my FSM -- maybe these will help If you want the original pix, PM me your email address.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:47 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Thanks for that funair it's appreciated, think it would be a good idea for me to start looking for an fsm for myself too.

Haven't heard anything much yet other than this morning I had to drive over to get a couple tools for my work and there was a vehicle ahead of mine. Ed had taken mine on a test run and said he'll have to drop the tranny and give me a call with what he finds. speculation was clutches were burned and od something or other malfunction and likely torque converter going or gone but all guesswork till he can tear it down for a look. That's beyond my skill level so although saddened by the timing and what the cost may be, will be interested in what he finds.

on the other hand will be glad to not have to fight my way up hills or play with the throttle to enter on or to make a pass on the freeway

Old 10-28-2016, 09:20 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Well fellas, my van is back on the road again, look out! lol

Surprised to get the call today just after lunch that it was fixed and ready when convenient for me. Turns out the governor pressure switch went bad and also the wiring shorted. He showed me the old switch to a new identical one how it was supposed to look and amazed how such a small difference can make all the difference and cause such troubles!
The bill was $350 for labor, the switch- gasket- atf+4 -filter and wiring repair. Figure I got off cheap having expected worse scenario so very pleased and happy the ole van is shifting correct and smooth again! It's been a long time since it has for sure! He even said my band adjustment was right too

Thank Dodge forum and you guys for the suggestions and support and this being finished, hope will help someone else with a similar issue in finding an answer to a fix for their rig

ya know... earlier on funair02 had mentioned the OD light intermittently coming on and going off as a possible source of a problem or code. This light has done this for some time... well atleast a handful of years. Thought to start another thread and dig a little more into this. Ed the tranny guy found nothing transmission related but his thought is it's in the steering column. I've thought so too since it seems to light up more so at low speeds and turns of the wheel and also if the steering wheel is tilted down at the 2 lowest settings, if I raise it above the 2nd notch upward in trucker position the switch and light works properly. Maybe a loose wire or worn insulation and rubbing... I'll put that question out there in a new thread though for some opinions in tackling that

Last edited by JFloors; 10-29-2016 at 02:29 AM. Reason: after thought

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission issues