Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission issues

Old 06-22-2016, 12:18 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission issues

'99, 3500 cargo van, 5.9, 46re trans (I think...)

Hey guys thought I might get some advice from anyone willing before I take my van to the transmission guy.
Both before and after my last fluid and filter service back in february while accelerating on to the freeway it winds up and won't shift past second without easing off the gas a couple seconds, then will drop in to 3rd and O/D. Normal driving around town at lower speeds it shifts normal.
It was not AS bad after the service was done but now getting bad (even worse than before) again. I'm not positive but have probably driven close to 7-8k since that last service.
The other thing it's been doing worse lately is both making a pass or going up hill if i give it too much pedal at 65-70 it shifts down to 2nd, there is a very short movement in the pedal where it will catch 3rd sometimes.
Lastly... while cruising freeway speed the O/D light randomly comes on and off on it's own, and shifting kicks in and out between O/D and O/D off, this is happening daily now, to and from work but worse coming home when its hot outside.

Checked the fluid level yesterday morning, cold start in neutral and showed level was to the full/hot mark, I never have added any but guessing alittle too much fluid, but will that cause some of these symptoms?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some thoughts...

When the OD light comes on that is the same as the check engine light coming on which means the PCM should have a stored code for the condition you have.

Now, back in hydraulic days, when you had the shift you are talking about, you would have worn clutches and require a rebuild. Other things would be sticking valve bodies and low pump pressure (another rebuild)...

But, having the OD light information would be key in fixing the issue. You could have something like a lazy solenoid.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:56 AM
JFloors
Veteran

Thanks for the reply and the thoughts funair,

I have checked with my HF reader but no codes, the engine temps are running normal in the mornings, (about 192, I just put in a 180 thermostat 3 weeks ago) but a bit hot in the afternoon when outdoor temps are above 90. Radiator, thermostat and clutch fan are all new from last summer.
Yesterday it was 105 driving home and had the a/c on. Top of the the first of 3 small grades I pass coming home the reader was showing ect at 213f then dropped to 204 , the 2nd one got it up to 219. I rolled down the windows and cranked the heat and on the 3rd grade never went above 206 and stayed that way the rest of the way and through town with the a/c on.
All that said because I think part of the transmission problem is it's getting too darn hot along with what you had mentioned above.
I had found some threads regarding the o/d light and losing 3rd which is similar to my issue, from OD it skips 3rd and kicks down to 2nd at freeway speeds. Had read the TPS could cause these symptoms so went to the dealer and bought and replaced it. The OD light hasn't been switching on/off last couple days but the other problems persist.
Again, around town normal driving it drives and shifts fine.

My transmission guy hasn't called back yet, may be vacationing but will have him look at it and post what he finds when we get it in the shop.

Thanks again for the thoughts... Jim

Last edited by JFloors; 06-28-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added thoughts
Old 06-28-2016, 10:16 AM
funair02
All Star

Some low end code readers cannot read transmission codes. Some tranny codes are also manufacture specific. Just FWIW

Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Hey guys, thought I'd bump this request for help back up and update. I've driven a few thousand miles (about 10k) since first asking about this shifting issue and can only say nothing has changed, still shifts fine with and easy foot on the pedal through the neighborhood but anything more won't shift out of second unless I back off the pedal.... also same issues on the freeway as stated too.
Work being busy just learned to adjust and didn't get in contact with the tranny guy, I just keep driving and take it easy and get to work and home every day.

Now... since this transmission hasn't blown up on me even with the daily high revs shifting to get on the freeway til I back off throttle or making it to the crest the dreaded hill and kicking down to 2nd at 70, I'm hoping for a suggestion for an adjustment I can do. Maybe the TV cable, front band adjustment???
not saying that I've been smart having driven it this long as it is but think someone with a mind for it might help suggest some adjustment i might give a try before it does blow? From some of the reading I've done could have been or be just the tv cable all this time but i'm just not sure?

Old 10-19-2016, 04:47 PM
funair02
All Star

I would have to look in my manual but I don think you have a TV cable since you have an electronic transmission.
It sounds like your governor valve or solenoid is going. If go to a shop with a real scanner, they transmission code will let you know what issue it is.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 AM
JFloors
Veteran

Thanks for responding again funair02.
Definitely have a throttle valve cable off the side of the passenger side of the throttle body routed to the transmission linkage. My thought or better stated uneducated hope was possibly the cable is stretched and or out of adjustment causing the late shift out of 2nd and the hard kick down on up hills or passing.
I've been avoiding it but agree you are right in that taking it to the shop to have it diagnosed to see what's going on.

Thanks again

Old 10-21-2016, 09:53 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Okay, went ahead and tried the TV cable adjustment... much simpler than I'd thought. It did have some slack and less afterward but no change in shifting. I'll have time to fiddle with the front band on Sunday after church I think. Not counting anything miraculous but one can hope eh? Either way ole Ed the transmission guy will be getting a call I think

Old 10-23-2016, 01:45 AM
JFloors
Veteran

Must change my thought on the no change in shifting after last evening's tv cable adjustment and short test drive.
Took the van to work today and more of my normal driving in town and some highway, definitely noticed an improvement of smoother shifts and no clunk from 2nd to drive as has been occurring regularly. Also not quite AS touchy to kick down hard on acceleration but still does.... Ill try the front band adjustment if time allows tomorrow, if no soon, Have to work again to finish a job but interested to see if there is some positive change in doing that too. If so may be helpful to the transmission guy to figure it out.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome

Old 10-23-2016, 11:29 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JFloors
Ill try the front band adjustment if time allows tomorrow
There is no front band. There is the intermediate (kick down) band for which the adjustment is external to the tranny, then there is the low/reverse band adjustment which is only accessible by removing the pan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission issues