Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

AC blowing only through defrost vent...

Old 07-14-2016, 10:58 PM
bobbydee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC blowing only through defrost vent...

Howdy folks...

The Truck... 1999 Ram 3500 VAN, 5.9

The problemo... front AC only blows out the defrost... (it does not respond to controls)

The solution... I know it is probably a vacuum thing, but could use suggestions finding or troubleshooting the issue.

I could also use some illustrations... this is my first van of any kind (BEAST of a van, might I add) and things are a little bit differently situated "under the hood"

BUT its getting hot in here!!

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-15-2016, 09:37 AM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good place to start is to take the dog house off and look under the throttle body on the passenger side of the intake.
There is a upside-down F looking connector that plugs into the intake. Mine was cracked but some electrical tape fixed that. Also the plastic line coming off of it could be cracked somewhere too.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:50 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, you must carefully remove the top dash out. First take of the A-pillar trim. Then the side screws. Next take off the door house. Finally take off the front trim bezel around the radio, hvac controls, and the dash cluster. NOTE, when taking oof the dash cluster, you will need to shift to 1st gear. Chuck the wheels to prevent roll and leave the engine off.

OK, with all that said, you have all the inside access to the HVAC unit. The HVAC control head has a temp cable, a vacuum setup and electronic actuation. From here you can track down the problem.

HOWEVER, under the mini-hood, the HVAC is on the passenger side in the engine bay. On the web, I think Advance Auto or AutoZone has a parts diagram. The fresh air bleed door usually gets stuck and the access is from the mini-hood location.

Behind and under the passenger front wheel area looking up is the bottom side of the HVAC system. You will find the blower motor and the speed blower control rheostat.

Be happy you have a 99. Anything earlier than 98 is a PITA to work on the HVAC.

Report back your experience.

I've since sold both of my Ram Vans. Had them over a decade. Knew almost every square inch of them. ha-ha

Old 07-17-2016, 10:09 PM
stev
Record Breaker

BTW, I found this on my HDD. Forgot if it's 98-03 or 94-97. Just review if it matches your system.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 PM
stev
Record Breaker

hey, found more of chump's data charts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC blowing only through defrost vent...