Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Finally Solved: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305 Codes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Finally Solved: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305 Codes.

As some around here might remember, for close to 10-years I'm one of the lucky few that have been plagued by a constant CEL and codes: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305. I've done various things over the years that had seemed to fix the issue, but it kept coming back. The problem turned out to be the brand of Crankshaft Position Sensor I had in there.

The first one I installed came from Autozone. When it failed a few months later Autozone replaced it. Then about 5-years later it failed again and this time I bought one from NAPA. So now this being the 3rd one I installed and I still had the CEL and P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305 codes, it would be hard to blame the CKS.

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in a driveway with the engine running and it just quit on me. I wasn't getting spark so I swapped the coil with a spare I had after my son drove it over to me. The engine fired up and off I went. When I got home, out of curiosity I tested the coil and it checked out perfect. Not wanting to take any chance of getting stranded I went and changed the CKS yet again. But this time I bought it from Advance Auto.

It's been 2-weeks since I swapped it and the CEL has been off the whole time. The longest it ever stayed off before was 1-week, so I think the CKS I had were just junk and the BDW (Part No CSS813) one from Advance Auto one is of a higher quality.

Last edited by alloro; 07-16-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:55 AM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see this crap all the time now.

Quality is all over the map when it comes to replacement parts for our vans. I have documented a few times similar situations here too

When I do my cap and rotor - I now change the CPS and coil too. I just consider it a full tune up now.

I have been using Herko from Miami and they have worked great. You can get their stuff from eBay or direct.

https://herko.com/Retail/

Parts for my 02

https://herko.com/Retail/index.php/c...B%5D=117910069

For 9 bucks a coil and 17 bucks a CPS, I just change them every 2 years now.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:55 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious as to which brand cps from napa did you choose? Are you saying you chose the Napa house brand (Echlin)? Online there are 3 to choose.... MPE - Echlin - or Delphi
Locally I've specifically asked for Delphi but was told they don't stock them in store but can order... maybe some Napas do stock it but not here.

Last edited by JFloors; 07-16-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:55 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by JFloors
I'm curious as to which brand cps from napa did you choose?
My apologies, I swapped NAPA and Advance Auto names in my initial post. This last time it was a BDW Part No CSS813 from Advance Auto that I bought. That NAPA one was the one I just took out and replaced. I have corrected the error up in my original post. Just to be even more specific, I actually bought it from a CARQUEST which is now owned and operated by Advance Auto.

Last edited by alloro; 07-16-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:59 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem Alloro, I tend to edit a lot to correct my mistakes.
For the record, you helped me out last summer when during a week of high temps my van was cutting out and stalling by suggesting it's the cps causing the issue and it sure enough was. That one that failed was a BWD brand that had only been in there about a year or so. I couldn't wait to order one and didn't want to pay the dealers price so went with one from autozone as suggested and no problems in that department so far but some other transmission head scratchers lately that I posted.

As for quality of parts from one source or another, I guess it's a shooting match but good to hear you found one that seems to be working corrrect

Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by JFloors
good to hear you found one that seems to be working corrrect
I just hope it lasts the life of the van or until I sell it, whichever comes first.

Quick Reply: Finally Solved: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305 Codes.