Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1996 B1500 fuel pump mixup: electr. connector?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM
kegunder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 B1500 fuel pump mixup: electr. connector?

Hi All,

I really need some help finding the right fuel pump for my 1996 B1500 3.9L. I think I need the 1997 part (Denso from RockAuto) because the electrical connector to the 1996 part didn't fit. The van connector has a two lines of prongs while the new part is a single line of 4 prongs.

Its pretty funny how I discovered it, so I'll add this story. Dropping the fuel tank was hard because of a hitch that blocked access. After getting an extra deep 9/16 socket, I got the tank dropped. (Of course this was after the draining the tank procedure, which I did via the fuel rail and a properly shorted fuel pump relay.) After getting everything ready regarding the pump switch, I got ready to hang the tank. Only after I got the first strap installed did it occur to me that I forgot to connect the wiring to the pump. I wasn't quite sure if I did it or not. So, I dropped the tank and sure enough, I forgot. Right then was when I saw that my new fuel pump wouldn't connect.

So, do I need a 1997 part? I notice in the photos of the 97 pumps, that they look exactly like the 1996 part but with a wiring adapter attached to the parts wiring port. Seeing this, I think, that's what I need. But, I can't be sure. Perhaps its an entirely different connector?!

Anyway, can anyone help me out here? Can I order the 1997 part from RockAuto or will I have to get it from my local jobber to ensure the right part is bought.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 PM
funair02
All Star

With the problem you are having, I would just pay the extra $20 and go down to NAPA and find the right one.

Also a set of these helps a lot for dropping and installing the fuel tank.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-96654.html

Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM
kegunder

Thanks for the reply and tip.

My problem is that the part is $140 more expensive than rockauto!!! Can anyone help me out with some background on the fuel filter connectors? How did they change from 96 to 97?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 B1500 fuel pump mixup: electr. connector?