Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Painting steel wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting steel wheels

Here's a quick thread on painting steel wheels, hopefully it is motivational.

I had been in dismay with the condition of the wheels on my van for quite some time...a time which coincided with the period of time where all of the hub cap retainers rusted and flew away.

What I ended up doing is buying stainless steel lug nuts (VMS) and painting the wheels. Preparation was pretty easy, all I did was give the wheels a good scrub with a plastic bristle brush and hot soapy water. I did give one wheel a wire brushing as it was particularly nasty with lots of bubbling and flaking of the paint.

Taping the wheels was easier than I expected, I used a large black garbage bag which I placed on the wheel and then ran my finger nail around it against the edge of the rim to essentially scribe a line in the bag. I then cut the hole out of the bag, masked a 1" border around the rim, and then taped the bag onto the wheel. Each wheel got a coat of thick primer, wheel paint, and clear coat. I also shot the hubs black.

The results:

I found this to be the most simple method of doing things. Going through the expense of dismounting the tires, painting the wheels, and then putting the tires back on the wheels and re-balancing them seemed to be a multi-day job with the van ultimately falling off its jack stands.

Cheers, Steve

Old 08-04-2016, 11:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Looks good!!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:21 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you did good--looks great==I have 92 b250 wheels--cast alum