Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tip on radiator cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 PM
PaulBx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip on radiator cleaning

I took off the grille (I like the easy access in this car) to clean the bugs and sand out of the radiator and straighten some fins, the usual way I suppose (a piece of wire, some brushes, and a shop vac). When I was all done with the air conditioning radiator I decided to look at the regular one behind it. Good thing I did. I guess I assumed it would be OK since it is behind the other, but that turned out not to be true. It was fairly well plugged with stuff and dust.

On my van the two radiators have a gap between them on top. There is supposed to be a rubber piece installed there I suppose to aid the airflow, but mine was just sitting there loose. The good news is this allowed me to peer down between them. I got a good flashlight and put it down low at the corners between the radiators. Lots of trash down there. Hmmm, no wonder the van seemed to have a bit of trouble with cooling...

I got one of those grabber tools and stuck a bunch of steel wool on the end of it, then pushed that down so it was rubbing the fins clean and dropping the stuff to the bottom. I was able to feed a shop vac hose in at the bottom to pick it up. Also used a bit of aluminum stick to break it loose for the shop vac. I unscrewed the front nuts a bit holding the AC radiator on to get a little more space between the two.

I reinstalled the rubber trim strip on top.

If you have AC, it might be worth a look behind your AC radiator...

Quick Reply: Tip on radiator cleaning