Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

air intake help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Ryan Shaffer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake help needed

hello everyone,

i have the following vehicle
1997 dodge ram van b2500
5.2l v8 engine

my problem is the air intake system on the van is not correct. everyplace wants to sell me a air filter thats like 6inch around. whats on the van is an air filter thats about 12 inchs around but the problem is:

it has no way to get fresh air in from the front of the vehicle like the pictures show i should have. its just sits there on top of the carb the only tube coming from the case goes to the engine itself so any air being sucked in is already hot air thats made its way to the doghouse area.

i've searched and searched and can't find the proper intake system that should be on the vehicle so I guess there has to be a way to start piecing one together so its right.

my vehicle over heats and this is not helping not sure how much this rigged up intake system contributes to the over heating but I am sure when everything is running right its still causing poor fuel economy since its using hot air.

any suggestions on where to start, haven't found any junk yards around that have the parts but i am continually looking.

thanks for any help

ryan

Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM
funair02
All Star

You need the tube that comes off the snout of the air cleaner and runs to the front of the van.

Try Car-part.com

I am sure there is one out there somewhere. Also you can just make your own if you want.

Call this place - they have a few vans in stock

http://www.langstonsauto.com/

Old 09-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Ryan Shaffer

well i need the whole thing. the air filter housing on the van right now is incorrect. its extra large and has no hole or anything for a hose to attach to it.

all it can intake is the hot air that comes past the engine into the doghouse area.

so i need even the piece for the correct sized air filter as well.

thats almost been the hardest to find i've found ducts/tubes that can be used but nothing for the air filter itself.

tampa is a little far to drive for a part especially since i can't get that far without the van over heating.

but i'll check out the two places i might get lucky.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:52 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

Might be able to find it here. https://www.hollanderparts.com/

Old 09-19-2016, 02:57 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

Should take a Purolator A40004 or Fram ca160.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cheapest and easiest solution is to find somebody who is parting out a van and get the whole arrangement. I have to wonder why they made the change in the first place. Ask for a 1991 B250 5.2 liter air filter next time just for fun, that is probably what you have installed. Photos of your engine bay would be appreciated to see how much is modified.
Steve

Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Ryan Shaffer

other than the air intake i don't think its been modified too bad but i'll take a couple of pictures i wanted to do that anyway to ask some ac questions anyways.

i bought it real cheap put a about 400 into it when i bought it and then 300 in labor charges for stuff i couldn't do.

over all its been a good van

just got a few things to do to it now

tomorrow its the calipers which are starting to fail
removing the cat converter as well seeing if i can fix it before replacing it
drivers door needs new hinge pins

after that its just ac work if its worth getting fixed.

ryan

Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 AM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by Ryan Shaffer
other than the air intake i don't think its been modified too bad but i'll take a couple of pictures i wanted to do that anyway to ask some ac questions anyways.

i bought it real cheap put a about 400 into it when i bought it and then 300 in labor charges for stuff i couldn't do.

over all its been a good van

just got a few things to do to it now

tomorrow its the calipers which are starting to fail
removing the cat converter as well seeing if i can fix it before replacing it
drivers door needs new hinge pins

after that its just ac work if its worth getting fixed.

ryan
change the hoses when you do your calipers. Everyone here has done them at one point. I think the fail more often than calipers and some people have though the calipers were bad when it was just the hose.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Ryan Shaffer

i had to order the hoses since i am waiting on them and it was raining i didn't do anything today on it. tomorrow i should have the hoses and can start working on it.

Quick Reply: air intake help needed