Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'97 cargo van ram 1500 very rough ride! WHY

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:18 AM
jaimster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 cargo van ram 1500 very rough ride! WHY

I purchased a 1997 cargo ram 1500 van with only 60k miles original from auction so I never test drove it
it FEELS and RIDES like 200k miles vehicle !! WHY is it normal..
is that how they ride meaning DODGE vans never a dodge cargo van before..
driven 2005, 2011 ford 250 before they suspension felt pretty good!

what do I need to look for! as far springs , shocks , control arms, links etc
tires how do I improve the suspension ,

thanks a bunch

Old 09-30-2016, 07:31 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 97 1500 shorty cargo van a few years ago and the ride was great... bought it new though lol
I also occasionally drive an 05 chevy 12 passenger van and a ford 12 passenger and to me they both do seem to have more a gentler ride than my present 99 3500 cargo I've owned since new, but I still enjoy my van even at 285k miles on er. No vehicle is going ride well with a worn suspension
think if it were me in your shoes I'd take that van to a Schwab or Big O or better yet a good suspension place, pay for an inspection and an estimate of cost with detailed explanation for their findings then from there you can atleast know what the problems are and if you want to tackle the work yourself or even some of it and pay for the rest to be done, and even then, replacing front end parts yourself you'll need to have it aligned afterward anyway.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:14 PM
jaimster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great idea ! im glad i thought of that LOL! .....
actually i did think of that earlier yesterday, im just not familiar with this suspension
im gonna be working on investigating confirming the rattling lifter kind of noise coming from front of engine first. from what i read its most likely the t-chain needing replacemnet and new tensioner install ..

Old 09-30-2016, 09:51 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take a close look before you dig too deep and make sure it's not belt/ idler pulley and or belt tensioner rattling... cheaper fix if that's the case... no doubt timing chain may be due not knowing the history of it but hopefully it's the simpler fix for you.

How does it run? what engine is it?

Quick Reply: '97 cargo van ram 1500 very rough ride! WHY