Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Just FYI Idler arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just FYI Idler arm

I just got done replacing my passenger side idler arm.

I though I needed my tires rebalanced at first. When I hit 60+ I was getting some vibrations from the floor. It didn't really feel like tires, but I though well maybe it could be . The main symptom really felt like a tire that was separating internally (if you every have had that happen) So I went to the shop the tech looked at me and said lets check something first.

We jacked up the van on the drivers side and we were able to move the steering linkage left and right with the passenger tire still on the ground!
It was moving about 2 inches either way when we had our hands at the 9 and 3 oclock position on the tire.

You could see the idler arm moving in its mount. Not good!!!

So I replaced it and all is good now.

I also was getting a strange squeak which I though was the strut rod bushing when going over speed bumps. And, sometimes when going over a bump/crack in the road I would hear and feel slight thud feeling like the shock absorber bottomed out. Lastly, another weird feeling was at about 5 mph I felt a slight right to left rocking motion. That's why I was thinking about a tire separating. I guess that arm was really trashed!

Just FYI if you are experiencing some issues like these. Check it!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good stuff funair02, thanks for the heads up
I first decided to have an interest in up keep for my van a couple 3 years ago after having the rear ear replaced after it went bye bye. I had the time and took on replacing most all of the front end parts other than lower control arm bushings and idler arms, did'nt know how to deal with the coil springs but one day no doubt will have to. What a satisfying experience though with only one pretty good cut trying to break an upper ball joint loose! Gave in ended up replacing the upper control arms, lower ball joints went easier but not without a couple curse words.
Now I just try to do what I can and have the time to figure out with help myself, need to rotate tires soon anyway so will check this out