Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1978 B300 V8 400 - oil pan removal easy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:49 AM
MarkLDN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 B300 V8 400 - oil pan removal easy?

The Haynes manual says I need to lift the engine but wondering if it's possible to weasel out.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:24 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkLDN
wondering if it's possible to weasel out.
Nope, you have to lift the engine. It's because the oil pickup won't allow the pan to slide back and down.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:00 PM
MarkLDN

Fantastic.. Thank you for confirming Alloro!

Old 11-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the V6 I had to remove the right side engine mount and loosen the left one. I raised the engine trans together up about 3" or 4" just enough to clear everything. FYI yes drop the exhaust, as the pan will need to clear it. I jacked up the motor and cut a 2X4 and stuck in where the motor mounts locate and removed my jack. Jack stand at the rear of the trans. Be careful when reinstalling the oil pump, as it has to fit flush with the engine block.
Watch this video and he explains why.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:04 PM
MarkLDN

Originally Posted by Doc Joe
On the V6 I had to remove the right side engine mount and loosen the left one. I raised the engine trans together up about 3" or 4" just enough to clear everything. FYI yes drop the exhaust, as the pan will need to clear it. I jacked up the motor and cut a 2X4 and stuck in where the motor mounts locate and removed my jack. Jack stand at the rear of the trans. Be careful when reinstalling the oil pump, as it has to fit flush with the engine block.
Watch this video and he explains why.
Thanks DocJoe! I'm attached a photo to show you what I'm looking at.

So, in order, you loosened both engine mounts, raised the engine with a floor jack 3-4 inches, and put two pieces of 2x4 inbetween the engine and mounts? Or you only did this to one side?

What do you mean by "floor jack at the rear of the trans"? Is this where you placed it to raise the engine or was this to just raise the vehicle so you could work on it after you raised the engine?

Old 11-24-2016, 11:21 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Old 11-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur

On my van I jacked up the engine/trans and once up I placed a jack stand at the rear of the trans to help support the trans and engine combo. While the 2X4 in the engine mount locations held the front of the engine. Keep the whole thing level is what I was shooting for.
The above picture was taken from my Dodge dealership service manual and this is what it says for both of the V8 engines. Different from the V6/3.9 engine.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:57 PM
MarkLDN

Thanks again Doc! Very helpful.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur

Are you replacing the oil pump?? If so put some oil into the pump to prime it, I did not do this step and it cost me time.