Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Oil Pump Question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pump Question???

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving...

I installed a new oil pump last night and got it all back together. Disconnected the coil wire and Cranked the motor over for 20 to 30 seconds two times. Coil wire back on start the engine and watched both gages, and nothing. Turned off the motor and tried it again, no oil pressure.

I am at a loss as what to do?? Do I pull the distributor and prime the pump with a drill? Heat up the oil so it will flow easier??

Looking for help...

Thanks Doc.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:23 PM
44dakota
Veteran

remove the oil filter, pump some oil back into the the pump through the opening, you have an air pocket in the pump..

Old 11-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur

Originally Posted by 44dakota
remove the oil filter, pump some oil back into the the pump through the opening, you have an air pocket in the pump..
Thank you, I was wondering that?? Got to thinking if I feed a small tube into the oil filter housing back to the pump and feed some oil in there if that would work. This is the best idea I came up with.

Thanks and God bless...

Old 11-24-2016, 07:58 PM
44dakota
Veteran

Originally Posted by Doc Joe
Thank you, I was wondering that?? Got to thinking if I feed a small tube into the oil filter housing back to the pump and feed some oil in there if that would work. This is the best idea I came up with.

Thanks and God bless...

no problem, I had the same thing happen to me when I replaced my pump, use any kind of tubing or if you can get an oil squirt can in there is all you need...

Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 44dakota
You can also remove the sending unit and pour oil down there.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
You can also remove the sending unit and pour oil down there.

That was a thought, but after looking at the manual, it goes Sending unit, oil filter and then pump. As I did not was to over fill the motor with oil I pulled the filter.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Doc Joe
Amateur

OK gents an update on my oil pump priming issue.

If you like me forget to prime the oil pump, have no fear there is an easy way to fix it.

1. Remove the oil filter and set it aside.
2. Get a 1" socket and remove the oil filter pipe and cover. Clean up while off the motor.
3. Get some small hose and a syringe and fill the syringe with oil. A small hose and funnel may work also maybe??
4. Place hose into the 1/2" oil at the 4:30 position from the oil filter pipe hole.
5. Insert the hose into the hole about 4+ inches and try and get it to turn down the oil pump hole.
6. Inject the oil, I put about 40cc of oil in there.
7. Reinstall the filter cover and pipe. Did not find a spec, so good and tight or 30 to 40 FTPD of torque.
8. Reinstall the oil filter.
9. To make sure the pump gears were covered with oil and it was primed, I turned the motor backwards a few turns.
10. Remove the coil wire and turn the motor over for a few seconds, reattach the coil wire and start the motor. Watch the gage or light and it should go off within a few seconds. Mine took about 4 or 5 seconds and it hit 50psi.

11. Sit back and think to yourself, I am so glad I did not have to take the pan off again to fix this issue... Smile...

Hope this helps and sorry I did not take pictures of this as it was really easy to do.

Doc.

Last edited by Doc Joe; 11-26-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Just remove the distributor and cam gear and use a priming shaft on a drill.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar.../dp/B000CIZZGY