Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 ram 3500 5.9 shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:25 PM
rasco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The computer folks I was looking at are in Ft Lauderdale and their feedback rating was 100% positive with 16000 as seller, 17712 overall. Hopefully I will not need it.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 PM
rasco

Well got the codes checked, same old Idle acv ckt, and new output speed sensor (crank pos). The two things recently replaced. Had some starting issues, difficulty, started with gas pedal down. Going to check the wiring on crank sensor and look at the throttle pos sensor and wires. Not sure on cam sensor but never have had that code. Same for auto shutdown relay. any other suggestions?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:02 PM
rasco

Bump, not heard anything since posted on 1/16. Replaced crank sensor again, went ahead and replaced the throttle pos sensor, cleaned the cam sensor (had some filings on the magnet, cleaned the rotor contacts as well as cap contacts. Still having a wierd starting problem mostly when cold. The check engine light has gone away for a while but then comes back. Still running with no convertor. What tells the computer it is cold and to richen up?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:32 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when you say no start... it does crank?

did you replace the computer you mentioned on 2/7...

if you leave the key in the on position for about 10 to 15 seconds, not trying to crank, do you get a message on the speedo saying No Buss where the mileage should show??

Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
rasco

It cranks but does not seem to fire, push pedal couple of times and will usually start but seems to belch a little. Turned switch just short of crank and waited, have never seen anything other than mileage in the window. Just tried again, cranked a while, pushed pedal, started and ran a little rough, died when let off the gas. Repeated a couple of times and then it would idle. Smelled a little rich, it is 46 deg currently. IAC valve has been replaced several times. The main code it has shown has been IAC circuit. Today the code has been off until I drive a short distance. I have checked the four wires from IAC connector to the computer and have continuity. Have not replaced the computer, was trying to hit the cheap parts first. I was looking to find a fuel pressure test port to make sure it was not a pump problem but it sure seems to run fine on road, except for the time it quit on a sale test drive, lol.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fuel pump? bad gas?

I replaced my '01 fuel pump with one off amazon 2 falls ago...

had to wait till I was almost out of fuel to allow dropping the tank.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:05 PM
rasco

Do not think either, runs too well when started and on highway. That is why I was looking to run pressure check, have gauge and hoses. Just did not see any port like on my Chevy fleet.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is out of my paygrade but tossing in 2 cent... I seem to recall some threads that suggest using a dryer to warm the pcm a couple few minutes before cold starting. If it cranks up right away you know the pcm probably is the issue.
Have you tried it yet or seen the threads I'm speaking of?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:25 AM
rasco

Hey thanks, will give it a shot! Have not seen that.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one link to the hair dryer test and alloro pasted another in his response there, it was yet another dead end thread but hope it may lead you to an answer and solution...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...d-running.html

Quick Reply: 2000 ram 3500 5.9 shutting off