Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

DIY Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 AM
Daboognish88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Exhaust System?

I have a 1982 Dodge Xplorer camper van. Basically the xplorer company converted a dodge b350 360 engine into a motorhome which was top of the line in its day. Mine only has 30,000 miles on it.. but lots of work to be done.
Right now my main concern is the exhaust system as it is causing the whole van to rattle and shake like an old lady in February. Problem is that I'm pretty sure the exhaust is a custom build by xplorer so it can "dodge" all the rv components and come out the side between the rv sewer pipes.

I'm planning on calling around to get some estimates of what this will cost exactly, but I'm sure it won't be cheap. I want to save as much as I can.

So, I wonder if I could pull this off myself. (or at least some of it.. if I do half of it would a shop do the rest?)
I do have a welder (a cheap harbor freight 90 amp flux core) but it only does mild steel. I wonder how long mild steel would last me?
Ideally I would like to find a way of doing this without welding though. Does this exist??

I'm not sure, but I think the two downpipes that exit the manifolds and join together before meeting the muffler (that whole system) might be stock for a dodge b350... and then the out pipe that exits the muffler was added on by xplorer later. So.. maybe I can find this entire first half completely prefabricated and then just fabricate the second half myself? (It's an old van so probably can't find anything prefab.)
The second half would only consist of about 15" straight pipe from the muffler.. into a 90 degree mandrel bend.. into another 15" straight pipe.

Here's a link to the type of pipe I'm looking at.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mild-S...nch,50122.html

Are there any kits where you just slip the pipes together or something? (or is that just too easy?).

I'm sure there's some methods I've yet to stumble upon in my research.. which is why I humbly ask you all to help me figure this "exhausting" (I had to do it) thing out.

Thanks!

Last edited by Daboognish88; 02-08-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Daboognish88

After a long time searching I've found this 1982 dodge b-series Y pipe but I have no idea if it would fit or not. Does anyone know how to figure this out?

https://www.carid.com/1982-dodge-b-s...244879129.html

Old 02-09-2017, 09:15 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any exhaust shop can build and install a y-pipe of this type from scratch and its usually cheaper than you think.

The link provided looks right to me but I don't have this vehicle so maybe. (Your milage may vary)

Old 02-10-2017, 04:45 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

agree w/blackvan----any muffler shop can do what you want done

Old 02-11-2017, 02:49 PM
iodj44
Veteran

I have too agree with the previous two posts, you probably would be surprised at how reasonable a muffler shop can be.