Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

control arm 'Pivot bolts' what are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Someday69
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question control arm 'Pivot bolts' what are they?

Ok the lower control arm, 'pivot bolt' is the large bolt holding the only pivot bolt, holding it to the frame...Ok I get that...
YET-
Upper control arm has two bolts 'holding it to the frame..AND- the one large bolt that 'pivots' the control arm...
SOoo what do I torque on the Upper control arm to 220 ft. lbs.....????
Question-- what is the torque for that long bolt that 'pivots' the upper control arm???? I see one for Upper and lower pivot bolt, yet it is confusing...

Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm seeing the same torque specs, 220 for upper control arm bolt(s) which to me means all 3.

The 2 bolts up top, if I'm reading it right are the eccentric bolts with the thick rectangular notched spacer then the 3rd is the pivot bolt (bushing).
If I recall it correctly I was unsure too but I aligned to my marks I had made before removing the old one in order to get the new CA close back into the same position as the old one as best I could, then secured the 2 top bolts pretty good but not over do it, then only finger tightened the pivot (bushing) bolt until all was put back together and the wheels were on the ground again, then torqued all 3 to the max of my torque 150 lb wrench and gave it an extra tug and ummph!
When I took it for the alignment I requested that the guy doing it also recheck and torque on those bolts as necessary just to be sure.

I'm no expert but it got done, if anyone else can shed more light for you we'll all possibly learn a better or more correct way.

Last edited by JFloors; 03-14-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Someday69
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the dodge dealership and the guy at the computer looked Up the whole thing. He just read what it said on there manual, and was not sure either. Then a mechanic came in we ask him, and he didn't really know either.
So when the new control arms get here via' rock auto' let the One large bolt with a bushing on either side='pivot bolt',,,, yes, I'll IT loose so it can move up and down. Then I'll use a mirror to set the other two, 'top bolts' that have a cross hatch groves in the frame and match the 'one large pivot bolt', O'wow this is getting to ridiculous-
I'll leave the three bolts loose till it's on the ground/ or under weight, Then I'll tighten just enough to get to the alignment shop..
I did mark the place where it was positioned to get it as close as I could...

Again thanks for the help...