Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Gas leaking from top of tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 01:43 PM
Brandonkravchenko1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leaking from top of tank

Again, bought this van a few months ago, have filled multiple times no issues. Today it did seem like it took more gas than it should have, maybe a gallon or two unless my math was wrong but i dont know cause i dont fill it EVERY time i get gas. Got to work immediately saw gas pouring out from under. Could it be that it did let itself overfil? If not why would it happen randomly? I have smelled gas basically since i got it but it has a big ol’ hole in the muffler so i always assumed it was that. Is the tank hard to drop? Do i need a transmission jack or could i just drive it until its empty and do it without gas in it? All the metal that normally would surround the tank is rusted out can i remove all of that as welll with no issues or is it necessary to keep/replace?

Old 06-20-2023, 02:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Need to find out where it is leaking from.... If you drop it when it is near full, you will most certainly need a jack of some sort, a second body wouldn't be a bad idea either. Given the amount of rust you already have, better start soaking the bolts with chems for a couple days before you even attempt to loosen 'em up.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:38 AM
BlockHeadGearBender
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's moderately difficult but possible when empty. The filler tube wants to hold up the rear of the tank, the tank straps get in the way, and it's hard to reach the electrical and fuel line disconnects. Gasoline weighs about 6# per gallon. I wouldn't wrestle with it even 1/4 full.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:56 PM
97St.Wagon3500
Amateur

Before you drop the tank, take a look at your leaf springs. So on my van, the gas filler tube runs underneath the leaf spring, BUT there is what I refer to as an exhaust outlet for gas fumes. This hose runs on the upper side of the leaf spring. Long story short my leaf spring rusted away from the mounting shackle and punctured my exhaust hose. When I got gas it leaked from the puncture. The 2 hoses connect at the filler neck.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:41 AM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put me on the list for the same problem. Bought a used 1999 Ram Van 3500 camper, which I just filled for the first time on a trip to Sequoia. Leaked out at least a couple of gallons from somewhere on the top side, before it finally stopped leaking. Just got back from the trip and now have a laundry list of things to do on this van.
This problem is on that list, so will be looking into this, soon.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Brandonkravchenko1

Originally Posted by 1998DodgeRamVanCamper
Put me on the list for the same problem. Bought a used 1999 Ram Van 3500 camper, which I just filled for the first time on a trip to Sequoia. Leaked out at least a couple of gallons from somewhere on the top side, before it finally stopped leaking. Just got back from the trip and now have a laundry list of things to do on this van.
This problem is on that list, so will be looking into this, soon.

i still havent fixed it but ive noticed if you dont let the evap cycle on the gas pump click (the thing that makes it click when you’re actually full ) you can fill it up without it leaking anywhere at all not even on hills or sharp corners or anything. When i do let it click it loses almost two gallons

Old 08-05-2023, 08:30 PM
doergel1@gmail.com
Default Add me to the lisf

Add me on the list too. I got a 1997 dodge ram van 3500 model Roadtrek 190 Versatile camper with 104,000 miles and at 105,000 I noticed some gas leaking from the top of the tank. Seems to be a fuel line right above the tank or something. I’ll be taking it to a shop because I don’t want to deal with dropping the gas tank and disconnecting the pump and fuel lines. I’ll try to update this when I do

Quick Reply: Gas leaking from top of tank