Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Sliding side doors

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Tom 307
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliding side doors

I am looking for a Ram van with sliding side doors. I keep finding conversion vans with barn/hinged doors. Is it possible to remove the hinged doors and replace them with a sliding door?

Thanks, Tom

Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible yes, cost effective no. A whole side of a donor van would have to be wielded on to your van.

The barn doors are the most trouble free doors you can have. The slider doors have many moving parts that wear out and have been known to allow the door to drop or even fall off. I personally like the side barn doors.

Best to keep looking if the slider door is what you really want.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM
lilredex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
Possible yes, cost effective no. A whole side of a donor van would have to be wielded on to your van.

The barn doors are the most trouble free doors you can have. The slider doors have many moving parts that wear out and have been known to allow the door to drop or even fall off. I personally like the side barn doors.

Best to keep looking if the slider door is what you really want.

Have both and totally agree that the sliders are a PITA. If you have barn doors be sure the oiler holes are there on the backside of the hinges so you can pump oil to the pin/bushings for trouble free operation.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did not know they had oilers, will check my service manual on that. I have always just soaked them with a good penetrating oil.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 PM
lilredex
Rookie

Think it started with the '89 models. I have an '89 and to tell you the truth I did not notice them right away. First noticed it on some newer stuff in the junkyard and only then checked mine. And, drilled all my older ones too, an 1/8" drill to the pin and then a spot with a 3/16" has worked.

When Bell Canada ran Dodges here they drilled and tapped the hinge for a grease nipple, guess they got tired of the doors falling off.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062

speaking of doors falling off, Mine has recently started to remove it self randomly without reason often while driving, needless to say its dangerous and terribly annoying. I cannot for the life of me understand why it has started this nonsense but its awful. Has anyone encountered this personally and does anyone have a solution other than just welding it on and using the single giant back door.... Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Sliding side doors