Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Haunted Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
poorrichandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haunted Brake Lights

So I just bought a 1988' B150 van and when I drove it home I was told by a few upset followers that my brake lights stayed on the entire time. I got it home and parked it because I am redoing the interior and actually hadn't thought about the brakes since. So lastnight I'm working on it and all of a sudden, just sitting there with not even the key in it the brake lights come on for about 2 minutes and then go back off. They did this off and on for about 30 minutes until I finally just unplugged lights. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be other than the possibly dead previous owner? Also, when I put the van in drive it seems to go pretty fast without me even pressing the gas which makes it a tad hard to stop and I'm sure will put alot of wear on the brakes. I didn't know if there was something in the transmission that I could adjust or if anyone had a suggestion on that one too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Haunted Brake Lights

For the brake lights, check the brake switch near the brake pedal. See how that switch is making contact. If the spring in the switch is loose and worn, the lights would usually stay on or on-off for periods of time.

As for the RPM, you need to look at the carb.

Quick Reply: Haunted Brake Lights