Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exhaust and Intake System
Print Wikipost

DIY How to clean the IAC

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DIY How to clean the IAC

Stev, actually it was not as bad as I exspected. It must have been cleaned by someone else before (or replaced). And you are right the hardest part was removing the "dog house".

Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's getting to that time of the year again of early Spring. Remember to clean the IAC.

All winter season long people let their vans run long at idle. This can foul up the IAC over time. Giving it a Spring cleaning is ideal.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
carisu
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of which...

How do you remove the Doghouse? I have an elk conversion and I removed the outer plastic molded piece. I also found the two clamps that are near the driver and passenger's feet. Are there more clamps somewhere or am I not pulling hard enough? The top seems loose but the bottom seems like it wants to pivot rather than pull out toward the rear.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:28 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

There are 4 clamps on the floor held down by one bolt each. If you have a floor mat/pad, you might have to lift it to see them.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
2001Ram
Captain

How often do yall reccomend to do this? My truck just turned 65,000 miles and it looks worse than your picture. Thanks! Made the removal very easy//

Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stev recommends at least every spring since the winter driving causes the engines to run richer than in the summer.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 PM
2001Ram
Captain

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
Stev recommends at least every spring since the winter driving causes the engines to run richer than in the summer.
Ok cool. I just started my truck after cleaning it and WOW! Made a huge difference. Not only does it start easier, but before it would start and rev up to about 2000 RPM and then it would slowly come down.. Not the case now. Awesome.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

You might want to disconnect your battery for 10 minutes to clear out the memory in the PCM. Once the memory is wiped, over the next couple of days the PCM will relearn how to better control the engine with the now clean IAC valve.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
2001Ram
Captain

Thanks man will do! Hopefully I will get better gas milage. I was getting about 11.5 or 12 before.. Ugh

Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 PM
M Laborde
Rookie

Are the pictures still available somewhere?

Originally Posted by stev
*** NOTE: I made this posting to load with pictures for56k dial-up friendly speed.

Does your 3.9L, 5.2L or 5.9L Magnum engine rev up and down during idle (surges) while in park or netural? If so, the problem is a dirty IAC. Here's the process to clean this IAC to keep your engine happy with a nice idle rpm and avoids wasting fuel too.

This DIY maintenance works with 3.9L/239cid, 5.2L/318cidand 5.9L/360cid Mangnum engines found in many of the Dodge Trucks, Full size Vans/Wagons, SUV's and a few Jeeps.

A sample look of a 3.9L, 5.2L or 5.9L magnum engine with the van's dog-house removed.

Here's the jewel of the IAC. Notice the driver on the left mounting screw.

Just remove the connector out of the way.

Rats. [:@] The fuel bridge is in the way to get the second screw off.

OK, I'll use a longer driver socket and a pair of pliers to get the screw loose.

Now, with the flex drive over the bridge, the screw turns quickly. You may use what ever tools you have to get at that screw too.

*** NOTE ***
NEVER move the IAC brass probe more than 1/4" in travel while cleaning or handling. !!?!! Right now the picture shows it all black.

Ah, here's what the IAC looks like. OK, think clean thoughts here.

Up close all dirty ...

My cleaning bench.

A cotton swab and clean rag.

The IAC cleaned up really good.

Ah, but wait, there is more!!! The TB port is dirty too!

One clean IAC port. That's how it's too look. OK, clean thoughts here too.

DO NOTE: Inside of this IAC port hole is an air intake slot. It's very hard to see on the inside on the bottom. This needs to be cleaned very carefully. Avoid breaking the swab head off wiping the crusty bottom slot out. As you look at the picture below, the slot is on the bottom between the entrance hole and the round port in the back.

Alright, just put the IAC back into the hole, drive the screws and plug in the connector!

Hope this helps too!

Quick Reply: DIY How to clean the IAC