Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New Battery dies out contsantly.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 PM
LiveFromHeaven
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Battery dies out contsantly.

Just bought a 1988 B250 conversion and a brand new Die Hard battery. After fully charging the battery, it'll stay charged for about a week and I'll find it completely discharged. There are a few loose wires that I've patched over with electrical tape, but what else could be causing the battery to drain? Another odd thing I noticed was that you can turn on the CD player without a key in the ignition. Is there some sort of kill wire that's missing?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts
Default RE: New Battery dies out contsantly.

sounds like you have some wiring issues... what I could suggest is poping out the fuse and put a big ammeter in line with where the fuse was and see how much current each circuit is drawing. this may help narrow it down some.

hope this helps...

btw, welcome to df...

Old 10-18-2006, 05:49 AM
IGadget
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Battery dies out contsantly.

Another test I'd try is to disconnect the battery and see if it drains down the same way....it shouldnt, but there isnt anying in the 88 that needs power if it is just sitting. Also want to get your charging circuit tested, eg the alternator and Voltage Regulator. Bad diodes will kill the battery though improper charging. As well as much over/under voltage.

Quick Reply: New Battery dies out contsantly.