Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

something I've always wondered

Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 PM
IGadget
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something I've always wondered

Hey all,

On the exaust Y-pipe on my 318 there is something that looks like a little mini Cat on the shorter pipe of the Y. What does this do? One person tried to convince me it was the CAT, but I cant see the purpose of the cat being met if it was only on half of the engine. I know it being there is the reason that Ive been passing inspection without a CAT, but I'd really like to goto seperate pipes for the engine and not need a seperate cat for each one.

My guess it is some kind of flow restrictor or damper to balance the exaust flow.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:46 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts
Default RE: something I've always wondered

sounds like yours is a 2000 or newer... they are cats... my 2000 ram had 3. one of each exhaust manifold and then 1 after the collector for on the y-pipe.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 AM
IGadget
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: something I've always wondered

nope this is only on half of the Y and it has been on both my 83 and my 87. The 87 still has the Y For the 83 I had found a sympathetic shop, but that was in another city, and that owner upset one to many customers and was shot to death. If it stops raining anytime soon I'll go snap a couple of pictures.

What good would a cat do on only half the engine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: something I've always wondered