Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Horn problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
offtrax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn problems

Hello all from the UK, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab which I imported brand new and am having a problem with the horn just going off randomly. The one difference here is that there are no dealers really set up to deal with this truck in the UK, the warranty is void the minute it leaves the US and the Chrysler garage I'm dealing with here who service it don't really know what the problem is. So far they have reprogramed the front control module, that worked for a few weeks, then they changed the front control module...now they want to change the dashboard at a large cost!! I have said no and I thought I would ask the experts!! They basically say that they are fixiing different problems and they are all unconnected? I don't know if we have the keyless entry, I don't think we do as I have no idea how to get it to work if we do....If anybody is interested you can view the truck on www.offtrax.co.uk as we are filming company and it's a great truck!! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horn problems

Well you can count on having some sort of electrical problem. If your car has power locks then you have the option to have keyless entry, even if you do not have a key fob. Something in the area has a similiar frequency as your panic alarm for your horn and this is what is setting it off. The bad thing is I really don't know how to fix that. The only option that I can come up with that would be cheap, easy, and fun would be to remove the factory horn and install an aftermarket horn that is not tied into your keyless. You can get aftermarket horns as low as $30.00 and would take an hour to put in if you know what you are doing and maybe a little longer if you don't. It is real easy.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
sabersix

You might also post this in the 3rd Generation sub-forum. You'll get more visibility there.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

most of the time I have seen the horn pad to have a short inside the face plate. Thats the backing of the pad on your wheel, its pretty much a ckt board that when u press on it it will close the gap and make contact with power and ground and sends the signal to the Front controler to sound the horn. The last 2 I have done they dont replace just the pad ne more its the whole air bag assembly with the pad built into it.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:59 AM
offtrax

Thanks for advice, I have posted this link on the 3rd generation sub forum. Also the horn goes off when the vehicle is locked and alarmed so I'm not sure if it is the horn pad?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

the horn will still work because like i said it goes though the front controler or a small computer how ever u want to see it. Here is the flow of the horn system horn pad.clock spring,insterment cluster then bussed to the front controler then to the horn. The front controler still works because the remote info is bussed to the front controler then to the horn. U have what is called an input problem. Where the input to the front controler is all the time due to the horn pad alwase touching the ground side sending the info to the cluster to alwsehave the horn going. Next time it goes off tap on the horn pad a few times untill it stops.OH Btw if the horn goes off long enough it will blow the horn relay fuse.

Quick Reply: Horn problems