Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

99 Dodge Ram starts then dies when remove foot from gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Susan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dodge Ram starts then dies when remove foot from gas

Hi and any Help please.

Yesterday truck ran fine. Today went to start it and it would start but when I remove my foot from the gas pedal it would just die. Start it again and same thing. Then tried to start it and it would start at all. It would turn over like it wanted to start but would catch.

This is a 99 Dodge Ram 1500. Just got an oil change on it 2 days ago. The oil pressure gauge moved up as normal when it started and I kept my foot on the gas.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Susan

Old 11-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Default RE: 99 Dodge Ram starts then dies when remove foot from gas

MOst likely an IAC issue if it stay running with some application of the accelerator and is otherwise normal. See if it will start with some throttle.

IAC's get stuck all the time. Cleaning them will often do the job, but if not, they're relatively cheap.

To clean, you need a T25 torx bit and some carb cleaner. I really like the stuff Carquest sells, with their name on it. Way better than Gummout, Mac's (Napa) or CRC (Checker/Wally world)

Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Susan

Thank you....I'll check that out tomorrow.

Susan

Old 11-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

a clogged fuel filter will dot he same thing.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 PM
LPIdaho
Amateur

I'd go with the IAC first, it seems to happen to they trucks alot.

or if your in the same boat as I was, it was both the IAC and fuel pump/filter

Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
amadio1

Hopefully Susan lets us know if this is the problem with her truck or not as I am experiencing the exact same issues. I also have a 1999 Ram SST and the problems im having are word for word what she described. Fires up, then dies. Hold even a tiny bit of throttle to it, and it seems to run fine, but when you let your foot off the accelerator it dies again. My very first thought was Throttle position sensor/ Crankshaft sensor/ Mass airflow sensor. The hardest part about all this nonsense is that this isnt a constant problem.... It comes and goes. It can run fine for weeks then for whatever reason, one day it just will not idle. Then the next day it will run like a champ again. I took the truck in to have any codes read that it may be producing (I knew it was a longshot since i havent yet gotten a chenck engine light), but it came up with no codes. We rely heavilly on this truck as a daily driver and cant wait to get this issue solved, and also we rely on the truck to tow our toys to the sand dunes, and since we have a big trip planned in 1 week I would love to get this taken care of so we dont have to cancel our vacation, or end up stranded 250 miles from home.

The valve you mentioned may be stuck... When you take it apart, is it obvious when it is stuck?? Where is it located on the motor? I hate to ask stupid questions as I mechanically inclined, ive just always perfered to stick with the old stuff... No sensors and computers to go wrong with those. Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge Ram starts then dies when remove foot from gas