Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

EGR valve or Hemi tick

Old 02-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Parttime97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve or Hemi tick

I recently installed a K&N cold air intake on my truck, a 1500 4wd with hemi. I have started hearing a fairly loud ticking sound coming from right front that sounds like an exhaust leak t partial throttle suchas climbing a hill but not when the truck is in park. I talked to a dealer and he said it was the fuel regulator clicking, and another one said it was the egr valve clicking and it was normal. Has anyone heard of this and is it really normal. And is there anyway to silence it, its driving me nuts.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
BlkRam69
Professional
Default RE: EGR valve or Hemi tick

I too have recently noticed the same ticking (12K miles) in my '04. Took it in to the dealer (three times) and was told "not to worry".

They checked everything and all is within specks. They said (I wasn’t there) they even put another Ram side by side to compare and the motors sounded the same.

From what I'm seeing in the forum we are not alone. At first seeing others with the similar sounds and there dealers saying the same thing put me a little at ease.

However, three things still weigh upon my mind:

1. First they said they did hear the noise and told me I was putting the wrong oil in it (my operator’s manual calls for 5w30) and not to worry, no damage done. They said Chrysler changed the specs and now calls for 5W20 synthetic.

2. Both the second and third times they denied hearing the noise at all.

3. The noise was not there before! It just showed up around 10K and I think got louder after the synthetic!

So that’s my story. Maybe somebody else out there can put both our minds at ease.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:08 AM
mquerry
Default RE: EGR valve or Hemi tick

I dont know if this is the same sound i'm hearing or not, but after starting my truck in the morning and shifting from park to drive, i hear a series of clicks, approximately 5-6 total while the trans is shifting down. Also happens when starting from a stop at light etc. Hopefully someone else has the same problems, because it is driving me crazy. Any help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR valve or Hemi tick