1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical Problems

Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 PM
randylattimer@hotmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems

First day on this site. I have a 91 D-250 Cummings 5.9 Turbo charged. The truck was a friend of mine. Yes we are still friends. My latest problem is that I can't get the truck to start. Last week I had to jump start it and did some light work with it. I parked it and the next day it would not start. I tried jumping it to no avail. Then I went out and bought a battery. No start. I checked all the fuses at the fuse box and cleaned the battery clamps and connections. The engine turns a little, but not much. It acts like it has a weak battery. I have been searching the net all day. Any help with some direction to go. Does anyone know if this has an external voltage regulator. I can't seem to find it.
Thanks!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:37 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF. Will move you to the correct section.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if things are turning slower than they should it usually means there is a bad connection. you may want to inspect and possibly clean the battery terminals and ground connections. if that don't do anything you may possibly want to clean and rebuild the starter solenoid if it don't look too good. starter solenoids are usually the only things that fail on a starter.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM
randylattimer@hotmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem fixed

I just wanted to come back and share what was wrong with my 1991 D-250 Cummings. The ruck often had to be jump started and came to a point it would't jump start at all. I replaced the battery, starter, and starter ground and hot cables.

I finally took it to the shop where I was told that it was the starter. I went and got a quality starter and the shop put it in. Still it was the same no start issue. The mechanic spent some time with it and came up with my A/C pump was frozen and not allowing for the engine to turn. He said that this was dragging on the pullies for a while and that I should get better gas millage now too. He had never seen this happen to a cummings, but it was common on some other makes of cars.

The things I learned: do not buy discount parts from the various auto parts store, the 1991 does not have glow plugs.
Thanks Everyone!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Problems