Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Ram problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:14 AM
BleedDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram problems

My truck is a 1997 Ram 1500, 3.9 V6, 5 speed, it's got 70000 km's on it. 2X4.

I get 13 mpg on the highway. The engine pings loud, and the truck has eaten it's second catalytic converter. I now need to put a 3rd one on, and this is at 70000 km's remember.

I took the air cleaner off today and the filter inside was soaked with oil and clogged with feathers, leaves, and all kinds of garbage. The hose that goes from the air cleaner to that thing mounted on the right side valve cover, I think it's called a PCV valve, had a kink in it, and I don't think anything, even air, was allowed to move through it.

Check engine light has been on for some time now. I did the key test and one of the codes I got was code 31: "Bad evaporator purge circuit solenoid or driver". I kind of think this has something to do with the PCV valve from other posts I've read. The other codes I got were about the battery being disconnected recently, which is true, and the shift indicator light not functioning, which is also true, it's never ever worked.

What could be so bad that it wrecks catalytic converters and eats fuel like this? This is a six cylinder manual truck!

Any advice? Anyone had something like this happen to them before?

Old 04-12-2004, 11:07 PM
BleedDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ram problems

btt

Quick Reply: Ram problems