Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

getting rid of the muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:58 PM
nemar1234
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting rid of the muffler

I was thinking about taking my muffler of my truck and adding straight pipes. I think that would be pretty cool and loud. I just wanted some feedback on the pros and cons of doing this, and what it would do to my performance.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:11 AM
custom
Default RE: getting rid of the muffler

Well you probly would not pass emssions. Other than that it would sound good.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:35 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Not passing emmisions might be the least of your problems. Modern exhaust systems are "tuned" to provide the most power. Back in the 1950's a set of sraight pipes was the way to go (just ask me). Now with the computers in the vehicles, you gotta play by the rules to go faster. Besides, with straight pipes, your neighbors will be calling the cops and every cop you see will be on your ***.........(unless you put in a "cut out", but I didn't say that).....[&:]

Old 05-24-2004, 02:55 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run straight pipes after my cat on my Chevys-they sound pretty good, not too loud. Nothing you do AFTER the cat has any affect on emissions visual inspection.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:13 AM
rballard

You will loose your bottom end. I played alot with the exhaust on my 98 360 2500, removing the muffler and adding only a resonator, eventually replacing it all with a Gibson 3" catback, only to cut it shorter and exit in front of the rear wheel. I don't recommend that either, when I would clean the wheels, the passenger side rear was always hardest to clean. I also installed a set of Gibson shorty headers. Once the headers were installed I really lost the lowend torque but once I hit 3200 rpms she flew. If I had to do it all again I would buy either a Gibson or Flowmaster 3" cat back and call it quits. If you want loud take a look at the Dynomax race mufflers in the summit catalog or even the flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Having a good intake and exhaust is about all you can do unless you want to sink some serious money into the truck such as a blower and a set of higher flowing injectors.

Now if you still want straight and have gobs of torque as well as cheaper fuel and better fuel economy while passing emissions, buy the diesel.

Hope this helps, go to my web page if you want to see what I have tried on my 96, 98, 2001 Rams.
http://www.geocities.com/robertballa...5/Rampage.html

Old 05-24-2004, 06:20 PM
nemar1234
Rookie

Thanks for all the help. I guess i have some researching to do.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:30 PM
nemar1234
Rookie

I know this is gonna sound kind of stupid, but what exactly do cutouts do and can they increase your mpg?

Old 05-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Rambeast

just in reply to pipeing your exaust ...well i have it done on my 97 and she sounds awsome not to loud either just a good growel to make your truck come to life ..it does however take a very little low end torqe but it makes up for it in the high end ...my opinion go straight from your cat right out the back . as for mpg ..doesnt affect it at all unless your like me and have a lead foot

Old 05-24-2004, 07:25 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Picture a "Y" shaped piece of exhaust pipe. The bottom of the "Y" is the pipe coming from your headers and one side of the top of the "Y" leads to your muffler. The other side of the top of the "Y" leads to just a straight pipe. The direction your exhaust gases flow is controlled by a valve/plate in the middle of the "Y". The last time I saw one, the valve/plate was controlled by a cable that ran up to the dash...[sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 05-28-2004, 04:18 AM
Hemipower04
Professional

you can also get some that must be opened manually. jeg's sells them and i think they are better than the mr. gasket ones because the mr. gasket ones tend to get stuck when you hit the switch will the car is on. they are and jeg's claims .3 tenths off your 1/4 mile e.t's. go to www.jegs.com

Quick Reply: getting rid of the muffler